Vegetarian Restaurants of Nashville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

I have now been vegetarian for over a year and can honestly say it is one of the most rewarding decisions I have ever made. I rarely run into any issues, but something I  think about a little more now is what I’m going to eat when I go out. It helps that I have friends who are vegetarian, it also doesn’t hurt that it has caught on as a health trend, but it’s still hard when the restaurant I’m going to is known primarily for their chicken or burger. Yes, I love salads and black bean burgers, but that’s not always going to do it. Living in Nashville for  a year I have accumulated my top vegetarian restaurants that I find satisfy both the plant and meat-based diet. 

Sunflower Cafe

This cafeteria-style restaurant is nestled in a building that resembles the feel of your own mother’s kitchen. As you walk up there is a huge sunflower sign that is perfect for pictures and sets the tone for what’s inside. There is a huge covered porch for the days that you just want to be outside and the staff is always friendly and ready to explain the food options. There are weekly health talks hosted at the restaurant that are great for anyone who wants to learn more about the plant-based lifestyle. Sunflower Cafe is known primarily for their veggie burgers and fresh sides that will make your mouth water. 

AVO

Although on the more expensive side, this restaurant offers fine dining without even the mention of a steak, except for a cauliflower steak that is. AVO is entirely vegan and changes their menu often in accordance to the fruits and vegetables they receive locally. With all of the windows this restaurant seems to match what you get on the plate, something light, bright and fresh.  AVO also now serves brunch on Sundays with live music included. Anyone looking to try all different types of food there are definitely vegan dishes here you won’t see anywhere else in Nashville. 

The Wild Cow

Right in the heart of West End is a cozy, dim-lit restaurant that specializes in dishes packed full of flavor. This is the perfect place for a casual date night or a spot to go with friends after a long day at school. Around the corner is the Five Daughter’s Bakery which includes vegan donuts so you can round out your vegetarian/vegan dining experience. This spot offers the comfort of a diner with the expansive options of a high end vegetarian restaurant. 

The Smiling Elephant

This restaurant specializes in authentic Thai food and are best known for their Pad Thai dish. The restaurant is extremely eclectic with an entirely wood dining room in the front and a clean, more modern looking dining room in the back. Sitting in the dining room you can see the staff cooking your meal and everyone is talkative and willing to answer any questions you may have about the menu. The Smiling Elephant is not solely vegetarian so this might be a great place to satisfy all your friends. There is also a special curry each night that’s made fresh that day. This is one of those restaurants you have to check off your list if you’re a Nashville native. 

I would recommend going to as many of these spots as possible and finding your favorite dish. I consider food one of the best ways to connect with people and these restaurants are a great conversation starter between vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Megan is a second year student at Belmont University, located just outside of downtown Nashville. On any given day you can find her creating a Spotify playlist, jotting down some poetry or searching for a new vintage clothing store. If you go an entire conversation with her and don't hear something about her undying love for Elton John, you didn't talk to her long enough.