Tips to Rock your Advising Meeting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Well, it’s back to school time, spring break is over, and apparently the best way to remind us to get back in gear is with advising for registration. Thanks Belmont. For some people scheduling for your next semester and getting ready for registration can be enough to make you want to pull your hair out. After all, you just got off break, you’re probably drowning in homework that’s quickly piling up, and the only thing you want to do is binge watch those new releases on Netflix. But advising and scheduling don’t have to be the teeth grinding experiences that you fear they will be, because with the tips in this article you’ll be feeling cool, calm, and collected for this advising period.

1. Don’t be afraid to plan

Planning can be stressful. Thinking about all the classes you need to take before you can graduate can make it seem like you’ll never get to the end. But there are ways to beat this anxiety. First step is to put on your favorite Netflix show in the background (something lighthearted like a good Office rerun maybe). Next, open up your DegreeWorks (or major requirement list) on your computer, whip out your favorite pen and notepad because it’s time to get to work. Now go through your list and write down all the classes you have/want to take without worrying about the times they’re offered. (If you want to take it to the next level do a list of all the classes you’ll need to take until you graduate, that’s what I do and it makes me feel like I’ve got it together). Maybe take a break and then come back and deal with times and actually scheduling. It’s helpful to at least have one back up for every class in case it fills up. Don’t forget to write down your CRN codes!

2. Do your research

Got to ratemyprofessor.com and check out your potential professors. It’s important to know if you are in for a tough semester. Here you can also look and see if the book is even used in the class before you spend all that money on textbooks. Though, keep in mind that these reviews of the teachers are opinion based. What didn’t work for another student might work well for you. So if you have to take a class with a badly rated professor, don’t worry, if those people that reviewed the class got through it, so can you.

3. Tackle that meeting

I’ve had meetings with different advisors in various departments, and I’ve learned that the number one thing that will make you feel better (and dread it less) will to be prepared. You’ve got your list of classes that you wrote down earlier, take that in with you so your advisor can see a physical copy of what you want to take. This will make your meeting so much easier and win you some bonus points with your advisor. You don’t want to waste your time or theirs. If you have questions, don’t be afraid to ask your advisor for their opinions because that’s what they’re there for! Should your advisor turn out to be not very helpful (it happens) then don’t hesitate to ask another professor that you’re close with, most of them will be happy to help you or even look over your schedule.

Go out there and tackle those advising meetings and get them out of the way so you can focus on finishing out this semester strong! 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Madeline is a senior at Belmont University in Nashville and a lifelong Tennessean. She is majoring in Entertainment Industry Studies with a minor in Business Administration. She loves binge watching dramas on Netflix, going to Predators games, and spending time with family and friends.