This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

If you are going on a Maymester this year, hopefully you have already applied for your passport and have figured out the big logistics of your trip. However, there are a lot of little things to think about before embarking on your journey. Here’s a list of things to do before you study abroad this May!

Start doing a bit of research about the country(s) you are visiting.

No matter where you are traveling, you are bound to come in contact with cultural differences. Whether they be big or small, it’s good to know about them! Google the country you are visiting and read blogs written by other travelers. What type of behavior is common there? What is the average college student like in that area? What are some things to look out for? There’s so much to learn, and although you will learn a lot once you get there, it never hurts to have a bit of intercultural competence before you head off!

Start thinking about what you are going to wear.

What types of places are you going to? What is the weather going to be like? Think about these things before you start packing your giant suitcase.

One of the teachers that I am studying abroad with this May told us a story about how he went on a trip and packed almost all Belmont shirts. Unfortunately, in parts of South America, “Belmont” has other meanings and he had to wear his clothes inside out for the duration of his trip. Think about these things before you take off and maybe stick with solids.

The other teacher who I am studying abroad with told us that once when traveling, she wasn’t allowed into a cathedral because she was wearing a short skirt. Tank tops and shorts might cut it in America, but you might not be let into some places abroad if you choose to wear them. “Modest is hottest” is probably a good thing to live by when abroad.

Check out your itinerary.

Take a look at all the places you will be going. How much free time will you have? During this time would you prefer to wander or do you want to have a list of places to go to just in case? This is the time to really get excited about your trip. Look up pictures of where you are going and start daydreaming about the adventures you’ll have.

Check the weather.

It is important to at least know the general weather of the area. Remember, what is summer for us, is sometimes winter for others. You don’t want to get caught in prime rain season with no umbrella, and you don’t want to be scorched by the sun because you forgot to pack sunscreen. Although you can probably buy those things on your trip, wouldn’t you rather be prepared and spend your money on more important things… like food.

Talk with people who are going on your trip.

You’re going to be spending a month with people you probably don’t know. During your trip you’re bound to make amazing relationships, but don’t let that stop you from getting to know people now. It’ll be nice to know someone when you’re given time to explore and need to use the buddy system.   

Start thinking with an open mind.

No matter how much you plan, things will never go your way. You will come in contact with things you like, things you don’t like, and things that might surprise you. Remember that not everyone in the world is like you, and don’t hold that against them. Be open to new experiences, new foods, and new people. While abroad, remember to immerse yourself in the new culture. Be open to growth and learning.

There are a ton of other things to think about before you study abroad, like notifying your bank that you will be spending money in a different country, figuring out if you’re going to buy an international phone plan, making sure you have enough of your contact lenses to last throughout your trip. The list goes on. Getting ready to study abroad takes a lot of thought, but it will be so worth it once you finally take off.

Most of all, throughout the process remember to have fun. This may be the only time you will ever be able to experience something like this. Keep that in the back of your mind as you prepare to go abroad. Remember to soak up all of the amazing things you will experience and be thankful for the opportunities you will have. May is just around the corner, so get excited for the adventures you are about to embark on!

This is what dreams are made of!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Kaylinn is a Corporate Communication major at Belmont University located in Nashville, Tennessee. She loves shopping, watching reality tv, and eating pizza. She likes talking politics, but can also hold an equally compelling conversation about the Kardashians. She dreams of traveling the world and living in Italy with her little sister.