andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

As college students we all know how hard it can be to have fun and stay on a budget. This dilemma can get even worse during Spring Break when all of our friends are on vacation in exotic places or lounging on the beach in Florida. It causes serious FOMO. But don’t waste your break watching The Office for the 8th time (a personal favorite activity for any free time). Use the ideas below to have a fun break without making your wallet sad.

Game Night: Order pizza and invite your friends over for a game night. It may not be the most talked about event of the year, but it will allow you to make quality memories with friends that you will have forever! Tell everyone to bring their fave game! You just may find a new favorite.

Go to a Trivia Night: Check out your local restaurants, libraries, etc. to see if there are any Trivia Nights in your town. The Soda Parlor in Nashville does them at least once a month. If you can’t find one near you, host your own! Come up with a theme and spread the word to anyone hanging around campus during the break.

Escape Room: Build trust and test your brain in these intense puzzles! Pick from tons of different themes and difficulty levels to see if you can break out in less than 60 minutes. They typically run about $25 per person but check the venue’s website for discounts or coupon codes. Groupon almost always has one too!

Take a Road Trip: Choose a big city or famous landmark to drive to! Make stops along the way at other tourist destinations and Google fun places to go and where to eat along the way. You won’t have to splurge on a plane ticket, and you can split the cost of gas. Don’t forget to take pics!

Explore Your City: You don’t have to go far to have fun. Google the city you are in. Read the Wikipedia page, blogs, city websites, etc. that come up. Find fun things to do like flea markets, festivals, fairs, and more that are advertised by city websites.

Learn a new skill: Use a program like Duolingo to learn a new language! Watch YouTube videos to master sewing! Finally make that scrapbook you’ve been planning since Freshman year. You have a week to explore all the possibilities.

Relax: Put the phone down and stop feeling jealous of your sorority sister who is vacationing in Turks and Caicos. Roll out a yoga mat and take a deep breath. Follow along with YouTube videos or make up your own routine. Sit outside and enjoy nice weather (if you happen to get it). Make this Spring Break about self-care.

Spring Cleaning: This is your chance. Go through your wardrobe and donate anything you haven’t worn in a year. Pack up your heavy sweaters and break out your warmer weather attire. Go through your desk and get rid of old assignments from last semester and organize important documents. Vacuum, change your sheets, reorganize your room!

Volunteer: There is no better feeling than giving back to those in need. Donate your time to a local cause like tutoring refugees, walking shelter dogs, feeding the homeless or dozens of other causes that need help. Look up local non-profits and organizations to see what you can do.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Ashley Harris

Belmont '20

Ashley Harris is currently a Junior at Belmont Univerity, hailing from Hampton Roads, Virginia. She is majoring in Publishing with a minor in English Writing. She hopes to end up working at a publishing house in NYC, publishing books for children and young adults. She has an affinity for the Christmas/Holiday season, punk rock music, and cool tattoos. You can find her in the nearest bookstore or petting the nearest dog. She also has an ESA resuce cat named Luna!