This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Summer is rough on our skin. The sun is shining every time you go outside, your lips are chapped, and your face is literally crying out for help. It may be easy to layer on a little more foundation or concealer to hide but that’s just putting a Band-Aid over the problem. The best fix is going to be upping your skincare routine. Now, most people think that skincare is expensive and it is. But consider that if you take care of your skin now, you may save money when things naturally start to go downhill due to age. Good skincare is like building a house; you need a good foundation to stand the test of time. So here are the basics:  

1. Sunscreen, Sunscreen, Sunscreen
    1. This is literally the most important thing in my opinion. Sun damage makes you look older and can be super damaging to your skin. You should be wearing sunscreen every single day. Even when it’s cloudy outside and especially when you’re driving. You can either get a straight up clear sunscreen (that is made to be used on your face) or one that is tinted. If you are looking to minimize a step in your morning routine, Maybelline makes a great BB Cream with sunscreen.
  2. Eye Cream is King
    1. Good eye cream is going to reduce the appearance of fine lines, reduce puffiness and stave off the aging process. Because the skin directly under your eyes is some of the most delicate it is important to take care of it.
  3. Tone it Up
    1. I had no idea how important toner was until I started using it a few months ago. I like to use toner pads (instead of spray on) first thing in the morning; this process exfoliates your skin before you move on with your day. Toner isn’t a must but it can really help set you up for success.
  4.  Night Routine
    1. A nighttime moisturizer is right up there in importance with sunscreen.  Some of these creams can be a little on the pricey side but you get the most bang for your buck with them. They are typically thicker and aimed at rehydration since they can be left on longer while you sleep. Use a good nighttime moisturizer and your skin will be baby soft in the morning.
  5. Mask it
    1. While you can’t mask your face all day to protect it from the elements, you should be doing a face mask every once in a while. This is a great way to pack in moisture or clear pores (depending on the mask). Personally, I try to do them once a week as a treat for myself, usually on Sunday nights once I’ve finished my to-do list. And the great thing about face masks is that you can pick them up at pretty much any store, even the grocery usually has a couple.

With these skin care tips, you’ll be glowing.    

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Madeline is a senior at Belmont University in Nashville and a lifelong Tennessean. She is majoring in Entertainment Industry Studies with a minor in Business Administration. She loves binge watching dramas on Netflix, going to Predators games, and spending time with family and friends.