A Sit Down with Artist Manager Jennifer Stookey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

This week I had the chance to sit down with artist manager, Jennifer Stookey, at Workshop Management. Jenn only graduated from Belmont University two years ago and already has made her mark in the music industry. Workshop Management is a boutique artist management company here in Nashville, and the founder, Josh Terry, has been a seasoned manager in the business for more than 15 years. Jenn was hired as Josh’s assistant in May 2015, and after only working there for 6 months, he let Jenn take the reins on her first band to manage. Now Jenn Stookey is the artist manager for Milestones, a Pop Punk/Alternative band from the UK, who is opening up for Mayday Parade this spring.

Hometown?

Champaign, IL

Graduation Year?

2015

Major at Belmont?

Music Business

Favorite Bands/Artists?

Childhood: Hillary Duff

High School/College: All Time Low

Now: Panic! At The Disco has my all time favorite album, Pretty Odd, so they have to be in the top. And Chance the Rapper.

In your opinion, who is the best artist/band to happen to the music industry in the last 5 years?

Lorde. She was so young when that album came out, and it was kind of like, ‘Even though you’re 16, you can still be a badass songwriter and have your own style that’s completely different’.

What is your favorite part about working at a small boutique artist management company?

It’s really fun! You get to know your boss because it’s just you and him. You get to know the interns super well because you just have each other, and you can joke around. You get to do so many different things, and I get to learn how to do everything.

What is your favorite part about being an artist manager?

Just watching myself or others start a project and then finally complete a project, whether that’s something that only takes a week (if you’re trying to rent gear for an entire tour), or if it’s something that takes 2 ½ months (like immigration) or putting out an album within 2 years, starting it from the recording all the way until the release date (with music videos and new press photos), and knowing all your hard work went into making that possible.

What is the biggest challenge you face being an artist manager?

I think it’s when you want your ideas to be the ideas that the band wants to do also, but then they have other plans. That’s probably the hardest, because you want to put your creative ideas into it, but really they’re the artist and it’s they’re creative freedom to do what they want. And being patient with things. I am so not a patient person. Patience is probably the second hardest thing to do being a manager. 

Any ‘oh shit’ moments that you have learned from?

I don’t think I’ve really had an ‘oh shit’ moment yet. That’s not to say it could happen next week, but I have Josh to be my mentor and guide me, and so I don’t make those mistakes. I have almost sent multiple pretty mean emails and he’s like, ‘No you can’t say it like that,’ and then he’ll write something that’s so nice but gets the same point across and I’m like how did you turn being so angry into being nice but by still saying the same thing?

So you started off as Josh’s assistant, but then you quickly moved your way up to a manager position. You’re such a badass. What were your thoughts going through your head when Josh asked if you wanted to take the reins on Milestones?

I was really scared at the beginning, but I knew it was going to be okay because I ask Josh a thousand questions a day. If it was on my own, I don’t know if I would have done it six months after starting. It was also cool someone believed in me. 

What were the most valuable lessons you took away from your time at Belmont?

One of the biggest takeaways was just to get to know the people around you. A lot of the people work in the business or are still trying to get jobs in the business. If you were nice to people, then after graduation, and you need something, it’s a lot easier to get favors or get something done. Honestly, that was one of the biggest takeaways, them teaching us how connected and small the music business actually is.

What advice would you give to a Belmont Music Business major right now?

I would say get involved in clubs to meet people. Also, try and do things on your own. I would say do internships too. Some internships aren’t going to be the best, but figure out what you want before you graduate. If you do good work at your internship then a lot of people will get you your next internship or your next job.

Do you have any long-term goals you set for your career?

I would love to have a big pop artist, or at least someone big enough to open for a pop artist on an arena tour. Or manage an artist who eventually gets nominated for a Grammy. Or have a band that’s on the radio, like an alternative band, like The 1975 or The Neighbourhood, or something in that vein. Also, one goal of mine is to have my artist on the cover of Billboard and my name inside that magazine.

Any last advice for anyone who is trying to find their way in the music industry?

Just try to be as diverse as possible, whether that’s your activities outside of school, in school, the music you listen to, or the people you hangout with. You’ll be a lot more well rounded in life and in the job circuit.

Don’t miss the chance to meet with Jenn and Josh Terry, the founder of Workshop Management, at the Curb seminar April 10th at 5pm!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

I am a freshman music business major, like the majority of Belmont, from the Chicago land area. Like most people, I fell in love with Nashville's music, coffee shops, and obviously all the wall murals. I am a firm believer that one day I will marry Jim Halpert, but until that day, I will wait patiently and keep re-watching The Office. I believe that in an another life time, Amy Poehler and I would be the best of friends. I would hold out hope for this life time, but I am just waiting for her to respond to my emails. Life is good--remember that.