This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

It has been a little over a month since the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. On March 14, 2018, exactly one month after the shooting occurred, students across the country organized to walk out of their classes for 17 minutes, honoring the 17 kids who were killed a month prior.

The walkout occurred at 10 a.m. across all time zones, and many high schools across the nation participated. According to CNN, the students at Stoneman Douglas woke up early and placed pinwheels on the campus of their school to commemorate the event.

Many students continued to rally and protest after the organized walkout. Students across the nation are calling out for Congress and other officials to make a change. “Enough” was the word of the walkout, as students feel that enough shootings have happened.

The walkout was organized by the youth branch of the Women’s March. On their website, there is a map of all of the schools where walkouts occurred. There are approximately 3,100 walkouts that happened on March 14th. 

On the morning of March 20, 2018, another school shooting occurred at Great Mills High School in Maryland. Many of the kids who attend this high school participated in the walkout one week prior, and are now experiencing an event themselves. This shooting marks the 17th school shooting in the United States since January 1st according to CNN. Saturday, March 24th, is the day that people are organizing to march in Washington concerning school shootings.

This movement is being lead by youth and carried out by youth. They have had enough and they are willing to put in the work to make a change. In the words of Marjory Stoneman Douglas, “You have to stand up for some things in this world”.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram.

Rachelle is a junior at Belmont University. She is studying music therapy and has a minor in psychology and hopes to work in hospice someday. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, learning new musical instruments, and spending time with friends.