Scott Hamilton and Friends Hosted by Sheryl Crow: Nashville 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

This Sunday, November 18th, was the Scott Hamilton & Friends show, hosted by Sheryl Crow and benefiting the Scott Hamilton Cares Foundation. This foundation was created to fund advanced cancer research. Both Scott Hamilton and Sheryl Crow are cancer survivors. Hamilton had a childhood illness and was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1997 as well as three brain tumors between 2004 to 2016. His mother was also diagnosed and passed away from breast cancer. Crow was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004. There was even a surprise guest host: Kristi Yamaguchi, who is the gold medalist from the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France, as well as a member of the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame, World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, and Olympic Hall of Fame.

Sheryl Crow started off with “You’re an Original” with the entire cast ice skating along. Next was Tommy Shaw with “Blue Collar Man” alongside Ryan Bradley, a US National Men’s Gold Medalist. Florida Georgia Line, a Belmont Alumni band, came next with “Simple” with three-time world ice dancing medalists, skating duo Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje. The Brothers Osborne also came to perform with their song, “It Ain’t My Fault” with Jeremy Abbott, an Olympic team Bronze medalist. Chelsea Fielding performed with Sheryl Crow with her song, “Light in Your Eyes”. Steve Cropper sang “Green Onions” with Olympic team Bronze medalists siblings Maia and Alex Shibutani. Eddie Floyd also sang with Steve Cropper on “Knock on Wood” with Jordan Moeller skating. Courtney Hicks, US Ladies Grand Prix medalist, also skated along to Sheryl Crow’s hit “My Favorite Mistake”.

The Elimin8 Cancer Skaters performed next with Bard Millard to “Happy Dance”. The Thank You Canada Tour cast also made an appearance with “Let’s Dance”. An emotional performance, Bard Millard also sang “Even If” with the whole audience putting their phone lights on and swaying back and forth. After which Sheryl Crow performed “Wouldn’t Want to Be Like You” with Ashley Wagner, Olympic team Bronze medalist. Tommy Shaw performed “Too Much Time on My Hands” with Max Aaron, Olympic team Gold medalist. Brothers Osborne sang “Shoot Me Straight” while Olympic pair Bronze medalists, Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford skated. This duo flipped and spun around with incredible tricks. The whole audience was on their feet after their performance.

Florida Georgia Line’s song “Meant to Be” was next with Sheryl Crow singing Beba Rexha’s part. After this performance, Meryl Davis and Charlie White, Olympic Ice Dance Gold medalists, also had audience members on their feet for their show. Kaetlyn Osmond, Olympic Ladies Bronze medalist, came next, skating to Sheryl Crow’s “If It Makes You Happy”. Near the end of the show, Brothers Osborne sang “21 Summer” while Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, two-time Olympic Ice Dance Gold medalists skated away. Ending the night was Florida Georgia Line singing “Cruise” as well as all the singers singing “634-5789” while the entire ice skating team performed for the last time of the show.

I’ve never been to a show like this, country music and ice skating from Olympic greats. This was a show well worth watching. I was disappointed it ended so soon. It really makes you think about the value of combining entertainment mediums as well as what people can do when they come together for a better cause. Next year when this show comes around, you had better get a ticket. It’s something you can only see for yourself.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

I'm a Senior Motion Pictures Major Video Production Minor from Belmont University. I'm also the President of SPEW at BU (The Harry Potter Alliance), the Initiation Committee for Omicron Delta Kappa, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, and a member of Board Game Society. I'm also a Mary Kay Beauty Consultant. I love to read, paint, and dance. I'm creative, determined, and excited!!!