nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

The Rise of Digital Interviews and Keys to Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

As if phone interviews, video interviews, and in-person interviews weren’t nerve-wracking enough…digital interviews are the newest interview technology allowing for interviews to happen without a human interviewer. 

Yep, that’s right. 

Basically, there are digital interview programs such as HireVue, EasyHire and Spark Hire that allow companies to conduct interviews with candidates minus the human interaction. Typically the interview consists of questions appearing on the screen and the candidate is given a timed space to record their answer. Just like anything else, these programs have their pros and cons.

Digital interviews give the interviewee and hiring managers great flexibility because the candidate can conduct and complete their interview in one sitting at any time they’d like. Of course, it’s best to complete the interview as soon as possible while still giving yourself the best chance for success.

Also, these programs give the hiring team a chance to really consider your answers and re-watch them if desired while also increasing the efficiency of the interview process. Regular interviews, phone, video and in-person, all require valuable time of the hiring team at companies. With digital interviewing, the hiring team can interview a large number of candidates quickly, resulting in an expedited decision-making process.

Obviously, the major disadvantage here for interviewees is the lack of human interaction and the rigid feel and timing of the interview. As previously stated, these programs present a question on the screen and then your answer is timed and recorded. Here’s the catch, the majority of these programs give you just one shot to record your answer before moving on to the next question.

Alongside new technologies come opportunities to learn and grow as well as anxieties. Last week I completed my first digital interview for an internship opportunity. My palms were sweating and my heart rate was high, but it all turned out okay.

With this in mind, I’m going to display a few keys to success in digital interviews:

• Get familiar with digital interview software.

Many digital interviewing programs offer practice interviews to allow candidates to become familiar with the process and feel more comfortable. Take advantage of those opportunities and practice for the real deal!

• Dress for success.

With the relaxed nature of phone interviews, it can be so tempting to stay in the comfort of sweatpants and a t-shirt. However, you are on camera for these digital interviews, so dress for success! Wearing business casual is an easy way to make a great first impression.

• Prep and practice!

Depending on the opportunity you’re applying for, there are typically some widely asked in interviews. Some examples of questions I’ve been asked time and time again are, “Why do you want to work for our company?”, “What is your greatest strength?”, “What is your greatest weakness?” and “How do you manage your time?” Grab a friend or family member and work on practicing your responses to questions that are commonly asked.

• Pro tip: Recruit a buddy to sit across from you while you complete your digital interview.

To keep from staring yourself down on the screen as you answer interview questions, have a friend or family member sit across from you as you complete the interview. This will give you a person to speak to as you work through your answer and provide social cues like nodding to encourage you! 

Katie is a senior at Belmont University studying public relations and corporate communication. Since elementary school, she's had an immense love for writing and storytelling, which led to her pursuing opportunities to continue these passions in college. In addition to writing and storytelling, Katie enjoys being outdoors, volunteering in the community, reading and spending time with loved ones.