Profile of a World Traveler: Caitlin Daly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Name: Caitlin Daly

Hometown: Oshkosh, Wisconsin

Major/Minor: English major, Legal Studies minor

How many countries have you been to?

I’ve been to 20 countries on 5 continents!

When did you first start traveling?

I was really little when I first started traveling because it’s something my family loves to do. I’ve been really lucky to have the opportunity to travel with them and see and learn so much.

What was the first country you ever visited? 

The first country I visited was Australia when my family lived there for a few months. I was two, so I don’t have any clear memories of it, unfortunately. Going back is on my bucket list, though!

What’s your favorite place you’ve ever been?

I have so many favorites! Italy is one of them. My family traveled to a bunch of cities, but I loved Florence. There was a restaurant there that we loved so much we went back three different times and had the same waiter each time! Another favorite is the fjords in Norway. We stayed at this beautiful hotel that reminded me of a dollhouse, and everywhere there were these little benches where you could just sit and take in the views. It was amazing and one of the most beautiful places I’ve been. 

You’re doing Belmont East now, can you shed some light on your experience so far?

It’s been a good experience, but harder than I expected. NYC is one of the greatest and most challenging cities. I’m awful with navigation, so learning the subway system and how to get around took some time. I’m learning a lot about myself and being independent. There’s so much to do and see, the food and culture is incredible, and it’s such a cool, diverse city. 

What would you say to anyone interested in doing a study program like Belmont East?

I would say go for it! A study program is a really great way to take the first steps toward independent travel. A program like Belmont East or study abroad through a provider still offers a great support system, but you have more independence. One of the most important things is to pla well. Talk about going away with your advisor and make sure it won’t set you back in your graduation plans. That said, I would say to take every opportunity to explore and challange yourself. 

What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned from traveling around the world?

I think one important thing I’ve learned is that you can’t plan for everything. Sometimes things go wrong or differently than expected, and that’s okay. Sometimes they can end up even better than you planned. 

What would you say to any budding world travelers?

My advice would be to do a lot of research and have a good understanding of the culture, what you want to do and see, and the language if it applies. Be prepared but be flexible. Meet people, take pictures (but don’t let technology or social media take over), try new things, and have as much fun as possible!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram