This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

At first glance, Brandon Wiggers would appear to be just another crazy busy Belmont student, but that’s only half the story. Brandon is one of the most sought after commercial guitar players in his class…and he’s only a freshman. Nineteen year old Brandon can found anywhere from the practice rooms to all over Nashville performing in various gigs. He set aside some time out of his busy schedule to meet at Bongo for some coffee and to tell us what it’s like to be a guitar prodigy.

“So my first question, why Belmont?”

“Um, well to me it really came down to Berklee (College of Music) and Belmont University. I had an audition for both and really, when I did the audition, Belmont was my second choice but in the course of time between my Belmont audition and time I got my letter, I totally flipped. So by the time I got my acceptance letter to the School of Music, I cancelled my Berklee audition. I wanted to go to college and be in a town where the music was prevalent and booming and Boston is just not that (laughs). Belmont, I realized, has so many amazing musicians and I realized that even more after I went to Be Belmont Day. I realized I needed to be here.

“Did the fact that Belmont is a liberal arts education and Berklee is a conservatory sway your decision?”“Yes, I really do like certain things about it. Philosophy is a huge part of their education and I like that alot. I’m really into literature and philosophy and that kind of stuff, so when I found out that was part of the curriculum, along with the liberal arts teaching, I really enjoyed that about Belmont versus like Berklee.”

“So when did you start playing the guitar?”“I can tell you the exact date! It was June 13th and it was 2008. The reason I know is because I got a magazine with my future guitar hero, John Mayer, and it was dated 2009 and they date ahead. I even wrote the date in one of my guitar journals cause I wanted to remember it.”

“Wow that’s very impressive, so why? Why the guitar?”

“Uh have you ever seen the movie Almost Famous? That’s why.  Still water, still water. (Laughs) I saw the movie and I was like “I want to do that.” I should buy that movie! It’s the reason my life is what is right now!”

“So what is your favorite thing about the program you are in right now?”

“Wow what a loaded question. Um, I would say the fact that it forces me to get out of my comfort zone and I know that’s a little stereotypical but it goes beyond that. I was a blues musician primarily when I came here and now I’m playing Miles Davis, I’m playing Cold Train. I’m learning all these new artists and, wow, they were doing some cool stuff and I was just ignoring it because I was a blues musician. Now I can incorporate some of that back into the blues which really is my true passion. It expands my thinking, it makes me challenge everything that I know. It forces me to work really hard because I have to balance my studies and guitar.”

“So what does a typical day look like for you?”

“Uh well we can take the next two days. (Laughs) It kinda comes in spurts, I will end up having six rehearsals in one day and that happened over audition week. Audition week was hell. Somedays it generally turns out to be two rehearsals a day. Tomorrow night I have a rehearsal that is solely meant to set up and make sure our band is at tight as it can be because we are going to Dark Horse Recording Studios over the summer. I also have a rehearsal for a show I have the next day. My second semester has been a very busy one so my days consist practicing, eating, doing homework and learning and charting songs and I would not have it any other way. It’s the most rewarding experience I’ve had in my entire life. You can go through this entire thing and lose track of the amazing things happening behind you. I mean I’m getting to record at Dark Horse and that is such an honor and a blessing, and it’s easy to lose track of that. I like to keep myself grounded with that.”

“So what is your favorite gig you have ever played?”“Okay! (Snaps fingers) I have two that stand out in my head. One of them was the worst gig I ever did but it got me on Jimmy Kimmel. The other one is just my favorite because I think quality wise it’s the best performance I’ve ever given. The band was incredible, it was all gospel musicians so it was popin’, tight and I was actually opening for one of my favorite artists, Robert Randolph. It was one of the largest crowds I’ve ever played for. The other was when I was playing with this really bad band and this really bad floating stage and this guy comes over and he’s drunk so he trips and bites it against a wall. Someone got it on video camera and then after two days I find 65,000 views on the video and Jimmy Kimmel wants to feature it on his show!”

“What is the ultimate goal for you, the end game?”

“Three things. The first two are connected and the other one is independent. First, I want to play my guitar for a living that’s obviously why I’m here. The second one is, I want to live comfortably doing that. I don’t care if I make $40,000 a year or if I make $2 million, I just want those two things to happen. The third one is the first on my list and that is to be happy. I know there are a lot of factors that go into what I want to do but honestly if I can play guitar for a living, live comfortably doing that, and be happy I’ll consider my life a stellar success.”

“What advice would you give to an upcoming freshman in your major?”“Find what makes you, you because there is an astronomical amount of talent here at Belmont, but there is only person who can do what you do.”

My name is Brittany Best and I'm a writer for Belmont University's HerCampus Chapter! I love writing and researching many different topics. This is my first writing job but not my first time as a writer! I've written multiple essays and papers that have gone on to win high achievements in academic competitions in my hometown. I am currently a commercial voice here at Belmont and before I studied voice for 11 years. I have also been in a relationship for 3 years in which 1 1/2 years has been long distance. I'm girl for advice on how to make long distance work and how to keep a relationship fun! I'm also your girl for all things singing and music related!