This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Mother’s Day is right around the corner and you probably just panicked a little at the mere thought of gift shopping. Moms can be hard to shop for and you might feel like all your original ideas were used up on her birthday or Christmas etc. There are plenty of ways to make your mom feel special that are unique and won’t break the bank. 

Idea #1: Jewelry/Clothes/Makeup

This is one of the more personal routes you can take (and generally one of the more expensive). But these are items that she can use over and over. These items are great if you have a mom that is practical and doesn’t want more things to sit around the house. It’s easy to pry with questions to see what holes she’s missing in her wardrobe or makeup arsenal. Ask leading questions and you’ll be sure to get your answers. 

Idea #2: Books/Journals 

Books are an easy way to give a personal touch to your mother’s day gift. Pick something that you think would be interesting to her. If she likes to cook, get a cookbook. If she likes those trashy beach novels then get one of those, there are literally millions of them so it’s unlikely you’ll accidentally get something she already has. In a similar vein, journals can make a great gift. But don’t just give her a blank composition notebook and call it a day. There are tons of different types. I suggest something like gratitude journals, where she can record things she is grateful for each day. But there are also other types you can choose from. 

Idea #3 Photo Album

Going in descending price order the photo album is more on the time-consuming side. All you really need is the book to put them in and the pictures. Getting the photos (especially if you want older ones) can take a lot of coordination with family/friends but a photo album is certainly something any mother would cherish. 

Idea #4 Flowers 

There are two routes you can go with flowers. You can get an actual living plant to give to her. But if your mom can’t keep plants alive this might not be the best move. Or you can get your mom a bouquet of flowers. This is especially handy if you can’t make it home for mother’s day to spend time with her because you can call a local florist to have them delivered in a fun little surprise. 

Idea #5 Handwritten Note

This is the cheapest but probably one of the best options. Write your mom a note. This can be one of those things she keeps forever. All you have to do is dig deep and be honest on the page. When I have done this in the past I think ‘what will make her cry?’ (but in a good “I love you” type way). You know you’re doing it right if you cry while writing the note. 

Ultimately you don’t have to do anything big or showy for your mom on mother’s day. But she did bring you into this world and that is a huge feat in itself. Most moms are just happy to spend time with their children. These ideas are just a good way to show her explicitly how much you care. 

Don’t forget— Mother’s Day is May 13th so you have just enough time to come up with the perfect gift. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Madeline is a senior at Belmont University in Nashville and a lifelong Tennessean. She is majoring in Entertainment Industry Studies with a minor in Business Administration. She loves binge watching dramas on Netflix, going to Predators games, and spending time with family and friends.