Member Monday: Macey Howell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Name: Macey Howell

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Murfreesboro, TN

Major/Minor: Double major in publishing (editing track) and English (writing concentration)

Role at HC Belmont: Senior Editor

My friend Emily and I at the Nashville Farmer’s Market

Why did you choose Belmont?  

The first time I saw Belmont was when I was driving through Nashville with some friends. As we drove by, I could imagine myself walking around campus and exploring Nashville, and in that moment Belmont became my dream school. But it felt just like that—a dream, and a very expensive one at that, so I let it go and didn’t look into Belmont further. Cut to a few years later during my college search when I was looking into a possible career in the publishing industry and stumbled upon the publishing program at Belmont (the only undergraduate publishing program in the US!) and knew I had to go there. Somehow I made it work and I now call Belmont my home.

What’re your career goals?

I would love to be a fiction editor at a publishing house, hopefully in New York City! I’m also interested in the literary agency side of publishing, and I hope to publish a novel of my own someday.

Favorite place to go in Nashville?

McKay’s is amazing and I go as often as I can. I could live there for the rest of my life and make a nest of books and be perfectly happy.

Do you have any hobbies?

I try to write and read whenever I can. I’ve also taken up cross stitching and embroidery, and I’ve gotten really into thrifting. I’m even working on starting my own online store where I sell vintage and thrifted clothing.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Belmont?

I took a creative nonfiction workshop my first semester at Belmont, and I loved it. Even though I’ve been doing creative writing for years, I had never delved into creative nonfiction before because as a primarily fiction writer, I didn’t think I would like it. That class helped me realize that a lot of the same storytelling techniques you find in fiction are also in creative nonfiction, and now I’ve found myself delving into creative nonfiction.

My roommate Grace and I at the Moon River Festival in Chattanooga, TN.

Top 3 favorite bands?

The Avett Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, and St. Paul and the Broken Bones

Favorite Movie?

The Princess Bride because it is so funny and so quotable.

Favorite quote?  

“I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.” -Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Peep my cat socks.

Favorite Food?  

Cake. Birthday cake, chocolate cake, funfetti, red velvet—I love it all. I consider myself a cake enthusiast.

What would you say to someone considering joining the HC team?

This has been great practice editing and writing for a specific audience. Even though I don’t typically do journalistic writing, I have really discovered a lot about my writing style and approach through writing for Her Campus. It’s been a great opportunity, and I’m thankful to be a part of this team.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram.

A lover of fountain pens, cookie dough, and cats, Macey Howell is always open to talking about books, movies, and Marvel Comics. Originally from Murfreesboro, TN, Macey moved up to Belmont to study Publishing and is currently in her freshman year. She is an awkward dancer, but will enthusiastically and unabashedly jam out to Come on Eileen and Take on Me.