This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Name: Ashley Harris

Year: Junior

Hometown: Hampton, Virginia 

Major/Minor: Publishing major with marketing emphasis. English Writing minor.

Role at HC Belmont: Writer

Why did you choose Belmont?

I applied to over 10 different schools but chose Belmont because they are the only school in the country to offer a Publishing major. I committed without ever having visited campus!

What’re your career goals? 

I am passionate about literacy, so my hope is to work at a major publishing house in NYC working with books in the Children’s or YA genre. Down the line, I would like to focus on a career in writing as well.

Favorite place to go in Nashville?

So many!!  I love getting brunch at Loveless Cafe. I also frequent Parnassus bookshop and the Humane Association.

Do you have any hobbies?

Reading is probably a given, but I also like to sew and watch all of the movies. Does chasing my cat when she is chewing on a mystery item count?

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Belmont?

Most definitely the literature class I took in London when I studied abroad. It was all about Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes, so it’s pretty tough to beat! 

Top 3 favorite bands?

Bleachers, Linkin Park, and Paramore. (I’m still in my emo phase. Sorry, not sorry.)

Favorite Movie?

The Truman Show

Favorite Quote? 

“Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh 

Favorite Food? 

Pizza

What would you say to someone considering joining the HC team?

Do it! Not only do I get to be part of a community of strong, creative women, I have also grown as a writer and a woman. You will gain experience, knowledge, and confidence from being a part of the Her Campus team!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Ashley Harris

Belmont '20

Ashley Harris is currently a Junior at Belmont Univerity, hailing from Hampton Roads, Virginia. She is majoring in Publishing with a minor in English Writing. She hopes to end up working at a publishing house in NYC, publishing books for children and young adults. She has an affinity for the Christmas/Holiday season, punk rock music, and cool tattoos. You can find her in the nearest bookstore or petting the nearest dog. She also has an ESA resuce cat named Luna!
Rachelle is a junior at Belmont University. She is studying music therapy and has a minor in psychology and hopes to work in hospice someday. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, learning new musical instruments, and spending time with friends.