It’s Officially Christmastime. Here’s How to Celebrate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

It’s finally Christmastime! I know what some of you are thinking. “What about Thanksgiving??” Yes, fine. Thanksgiving hasn’t happened yet, but it is part of the holiday season. So, please just let me have this, okay?

I want to share some ways you can kick off the holidays and spread joy to those around you!

Crank up the carols

Christmas music is a super easy way to make it feel like the holidays, even if you are swamped with projects. Check out this playlist full of classic Christmas tunes that will get you feeling merry! 

Decorate

Stores have had their Christmas decorations out since what feels like August, but now we can finally buy them without the guilt. You can pick up an artificial, pre-lit tree from Walmart for only $25! Check out their selection of affordable ornaments too. Don’t forget to hit the Dollar Store if you’re looking for cute holiday decor on a budget!

Start Christmas Shopping

Now is a great time to make a list of everyone you want to buy for and devise a budget so that you don’t overspend! Search Facebook and Google to see what seasonal events are taking place in your area. In Nashville, we have an annual Christmas Village that brings together vendors from all over the country!

Now that I have given you awesome ways to bring Christmas joy to yourself this season, I want to encourage you to do one more thing.

Give Back

Arguably one of the most important ways to get into the holiday spirit is by volunteering. It is a great way to be involved in your community and spread the holiday spirit to those who may not love the holiday season as much. You don’t have to sacrifice all of your time, anything helps! Look up homeless shelters, animal shelters, retirement homes, and other organizations in your area that could use volunteers around the holiday season.

If you don’t have a lot of time, you can give back in other ways too! Donate money or supplies to a worthy cause, put together a shoebox for Operation Christmas Child through Samaritan’s Purse, or buy a gift for a child of an incarcerated parent via Prison Fellowship’s Angel Tree Program.

Not everyone has positive memories attached to Christmas, and circumstances can make the holiday a depressing time for many. Just a simple act like helping an elderly neighbor by clearing their driveway or offering a smile to a stranger can be a positive light in their day.

Remember that giving back doesn’t have to be some grand gesture or big-time commitment. Small acts sometimes have the largest impact. In the hustle and bustle of this season, it can be easy to forget to appreciate all that we have. I encourage you to find some way that works for you and recruit your friends to go with you! Spread the holiday cheer!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Ashley Harris

Belmont '20

Ashley Harris is currently a Junior at Belmont Univerity, hailing from Hampton Roads, Virginia. She is majoring in Publishing with a minor in English Writing. She hopes to end up working at a publishing house in NYC, publishing books for children and young adults. She has an affinity for the Christmas/Holiday season, punk rock music, and cool tattoos. You can find her in the nearest bookstore or petting the nearest dog. She also has an ESA resuce cat named Luna!