Interview with Ruthie Collins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

You’ve recently been working on Home.Made with A&E. Can you tell us a little about what that experience is like?

Working with A&E has been an amazing experience. We (My co host Danny Young) and I really had no idea what to expect when we sent the audition video in.  All that I knew was they were looking for a duo that had big personalities and were knowledgeable about all things DIY.  Danny is a super funny guy, a close friend, and had been helping me with projects around my house so I immediately thought of him!  We’ve filmed in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and both times were so much fun. TV is such a different world from music and it’s exciting to meld those worlds together a little!

Do you have a particular artist or genre you like to listen to when you’re working on DIY projects? 

I listen to a lot of singer/songwriter and country when I DIY.  A lot of Gregory Alan Isokov because his music is so soothing.  And I listen to a ton of podcasts as well.

You have a really distinctive style of clothing. Where do you find such great pieces? 

Thanks so much!  I do a lot of vintage shopping but I do have a few go-to brands. Farmhouse Frocks (farmhousefrocks.com) is my favorite. Their clothes are to die for. They are all super gorgeous and prairie chic, and they are all handmade by Amish women up in Ohio.  The owner and her two daughters are close friends and I just adore them and everything their company stands for!

You have a real knack for crafting. What is your favorite DIY project that you’ve done so far? 

Thanks!  Well I guess it’s the obvious answer but I have to say SHIPLAP!  Once I bought a few power tools and learned how to use them, it’s really a fairly easy project that dramatically changes a room. My plan is that when I have the free time to keep ship lapping my house a room at a time until the whole thing is done! I’m really so obsessed. It just turns any room into a comfy cottage and I love that.

What cheap tools would you recommend to people just starting to get into DIY?  

My top three that I got that have made me feel like I can do just about anything I need to are: a chop saw, a jig saw, and I also got a great sale on an air compressor that came with two nail guns and two staple guns.  

What/who are your top five artistic inspirations?

My top 5 would be: Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin and my mom.

If you could listen to one album for the rest of your life, what would it be?

This is an impossible question!!! But if I HAD to: I’d say probably Patty Griffin’s Flaming Red.

You’re also a talented musician. What advice can you give to those who are interested in pursuing a music career?

I always give the same advice: master an instrument so you can accompany yourself and get yourself to Nashville, NY, LA or Austin or wherever the scene that you want to be involved in already exists. You have to be in the middle of it all to meet the right people. 

All photos courtesy of Marbaloo Marketing

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Madeline is a senior at Belmont University in Nashville and a lifelong Tennessean. She is majoring in Entertainment Industry Studies with a minor in Business Administration. She loves binge watching dramas on Netflix, going to Predators games, and spending time with family and friends.