I Won’t Apologize for Going Gluten-Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

I’m about to let you in on a secret: I’m gluten-free by choice.

I know, I know. I can practically see you rolling your eyes now at the thought of some college girl giving up gluten as some last-ditch attempt to shed some pounds. It’s the same reaction I’ve gotten every single time it has come up in conversation.

“Going gluten free is for people who have to,” you say.

“Why would you put yourself through that?”

“There aren’t any health benefits if you aren’t celiac.”

I’ve heard it all. For a while, I decided it would be best to just order a salad and call it a day rather than asking for a gluten-free menu and open myself up to scrutiny. But here I am, four months in, and happier than ever. And because of that, I deserve the chance to ask for and eat from a gluten-free menu. 

It started as a 30-day cleanse after a month of terrible (but wonderful) eating my way through Europe. No dairy, no gluten, no added sugar, no processed grains. It wasn’t an attempt to drop down to a size two, or even to lose a few pounds. I was just tired of the unhealthy way I’d been eating for so long. I made it through with only one cheat (my grandma’s strawberry cake is just WAY too good to pass up) and was loving the way I felt. 

I slowly started adding things back into my diet, starting with a cup of ice cream for dessert, then some string cheese as an afternoon snack. Since I kept it in moderation, all was well.  And then I tried bread.  My clear skin broke into a raging fit of acne, and I looked strikingly similar to the way I did in 6th grade. I was up late into the night with stomach cramps. Something that once had no effect on me was now wreaking havoc on my body.  I dubbed it a fluke and tried again a few days later. The same symptoms showed up again, and after my acne refused to clear up after a couple of weeks, I ended up getting put on EpiDuo, Aczone, and an antibiotic by my dermatologist. 

Since then, I’ve completely stripped gluten from my diet (except for the caf mix up that happened last week….thanks Belmont) and I feel better than ever. My anxiety has decreased significantly (I CAN GO IN PUBLIC WITHOUT WANTING TO CRY!!!), my skin is clear (I DONT HAVE TO WEAR FOUNDATION EVERYDAY!!!), my energy levels are up (I DONT HAVE TO DRINK COFFEE…but I still do), and my health has improved all around. Instead of eating Goldfish and cookies for snacks, I eat veggies and hummus or almonds. Instead of ordering chicken fingers and fries, I get grilled chicken and roasted asparagus.  Going gluten-free isn’t for everyone, and it certainly isn’t the only way to be healthy. But for me, it works. And I refuse to apologize, or feel insecure, about that.

A freshman at Belmont University, Sarah Sholar is pursuing her dream to work in the entertainment industry with full force. Born and raised in small-town North Carolina, she is working to make her spot in a big city. Her loves include Taylor Swift, baking, watercolor painting, and attending every concert within a thirty mile radius.