Getting to Know Melia Adams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Major/Year: I am a second semester junior music therapy major.

Hometown: I’m from Edwardsville, Illinois, which is about 20 minutes outside of St. Louis, MO.

What are your hobbies?

I enjoy taking naps (which I never seem to do enough), watching movies, hiking, painting, hanging out with my friends, traveling, anything involved with music, playing with puppies, and reading. I also really enjoy line dancing with my best friend from back home.

Favorite bands?

I love all kinds of music so this is a hard question! The bands I have been a fan of the longest are definitely Bon Jovi, Paramore, and Rascal Flatts. I also am a huge fan of The Fray, Panic at the Disco, Mumford & Sons, and Twenty One Pilots. I listen to worship music a lot too, so I love a bunch of Christian artists. I’ll stop now because I could go on forever!

Favorite book?

I don’t have a favorite book, but some of the ones I enjoy are the Harry Potter Series, Tailor Made by Alex Seeley, and anything by Sarah Dessen or Agatha Christie. I’m also a sucker for anything by John Green or Nicholas Sparks, even though they always make me cry a lot.

Favorite place you’ve traveled?

My favorite place is Tegucigalpa, Honduras. I went on a mission trip there when I was a senior in high school and it completely changed my life. The city is so beautiful, but the people are truly what makes that place so beautiful. Another place I really liked was Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I went there this summer and loved every minute of it!

Favorite instrument to play?

I started playing guitar when I was 6, and I have loved it ever since!

Favorite thing to do in Nashville?

I work at No Baked and it is definitely one of my favorite places here! I also go to church at The Belonging Co. and it is always the highlight of my week.

Why did you choose Belmont?

I knew I wanted to pursue music therapy and in my opinion, Belmont is one of the best places for that. The first time I visited was my junior year of high school and it was in the middle of an ice storm. Despite the awful weather, all of the Bruin Recruiters were so inviting and caring, I truly felt welcome. The campus was also gorgeous in the midst of the terrible weather we had.

What is your favorite thing about Belmont?

I love the community we have here and how many opportunities we have not only at Belmont, but in Nashville in general. The professors here are always open and willing to talk to you and get to know you. Along with that, I love how supportive the students are here. When a crisis or tragedy happens, we just rally around each other and try to lift each other up.

What organizations do you belong to on campus?

Bruin Recruiters, Sigma Alpha Iota (SAI), Belmont American Music Therapy Association for Students (BAMTAS), Delight Ministries, Rhythm Changes

Do you have any advice for freshmen or transfer students?

Don’t be afraid to get involved! There are so many opportunities here to meet people and find things you could be interested in. Exploring that is crucial to your first year here I think. Also, don’t stress about the little things because what you think might be important now probably will not be later on 90% of the time.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Rachelle is a junior at Belmont University. She is studying music therapy and has a minor in psychology and hopes to work in hospice someday. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, learning new musical instruments, and spending time with friends.