burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Five 90s Trends That Made a Major Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

1. The Canadian Tuxedo

Ah, denim on denim. So tricky, yet so chic if done right. The day Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears walked the AMA red carpet in head-to-toe denim will live forever in infamy, but I would be lying if I said I don’t love a good denim jacket with high-waisted jeans.

2. Scrunchies

Scrunchies were a must-have in the 90s, then quickly disappeared. Now we have finally accepted the error of our ways and brought them back out of hiding. They’re perfect for any casual look and have been all over the runway this season. So wear your old scrunchies loud and proud and rejoice in their return.

*photo by McKayla Kirk. Follow her on Instagram @mckaylamkirk

3. Crop Tops

Like double denim, crop tops have improved since the 90s. Twenty years ago, the trend was to wear the lowest of the low pants with the tiniest crop tops. Nowadays it’s more popular to cover the belly button with high-waisted jeans.

4. Flannel Shirts

Technically, flannels never really left, but they have definitely become more popular in recent years. They somehow give off grunge vibes and lumberjack vibes at the same time, so they will never go out of style.

5. Fanny packs

The resurgence of the fanny pack is perhaps more controversial than politics. The key to pulling off this trend is wearing the fanny pack across your chest, instead of around your waist, and choosing one of a high-quality fabric like leather. Otherwise you risk looking like a dad at Disney World. Actually, you may look like a dad at Disney World either way, but if you follow these rules you will at least look like a trendy dad!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Tessa Loftis is a sophomore business management major and French minor at Belmont University. She loves fashion and beauty, but prefers to write about current events and feminist issues. Tessa's passion for social justice drives her to educate others on international injustice, as well as local news. Her favorite TV shows of all time are Parks and Rec and Stranger Things. She loves skincare, especially face masks, and she always buys more lipstick than she can use. Her beauty role models are Margot Robbie and Taylor Swift.