Exceeding What It Means To Be Part Of A Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Name: Madison Blevins

Team: Belmont Women’s Basketball

Position: Guard

Year: Junior

Major: Mass Communications, Sports Media emphasis

Why did you decide on Belmont?

“I picked Belmont strictly for basketball. Once I got here, I fell in love with it and once they offered me a spot my senior year I knew this was where I wanted to be, and this was where God was calling me.  My brother went to Belmont for two years; he went to the University of Tennessee for two years and then Belmont for two. I knew that this was definitely where God wanted me to be.”

How did your faith play a role in choosing Belmont?

“The main reason I got here was because of the grace of God, my faith is the most important thing in my life. When I was visiting Belmont, I went to an elite camp the June before senior year of high school and I loved the coaching staff, I loved the team atmosphere and the players. I knew if it was meant to be God would open a door. And God did open a door.”

What do you hope to do with your major after Belmont?

“Being at Belmont has opened so many doors. It has expanded my love and passion for sports. Playing basketball, and playing in a division one sport has been hard and time-consuming but it’s so rewarding. I want to eventually pursue a career in sports broadcast, and it has helped me so much. The professors here practice what they preach and everything they preach on they have actually done. They have lived that life, so they have great advice.”

After describing the education Madison has received from Belmont, she opened up about her recent mission trip to Brazil with her teammates.

“We did a mission trip back in August, to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Any confusion I ever had about what I came to Belmont for was all reaffirmed in that mission trip with my teammates. We all became so much closer as a team and we are already so close as a team. We always try to put God as the center of our team and I think that is why we had such a great season this year. We went 24 wins and 9 losses, the best record we’ve had since I have been at Belmont. I think that all stemmed from the mission trip we had in August.”

Amidst the slums and poorest parts of Rio de Janeiro, the Belmont Women’s Basketball team spent over one week with the children of these neighborhoods loving on them and showing them compassion.

Win or lose the game, the Women’s Basketball team has always maintained a positive attitude throughout Belmont’s campus.

“Something we drove home in the beginning was, every day we wanted to bring a positive attitude and effort. It’s easier said than done. We started out the season on a winning streak. We went 8-0 then we lost 6 games straight. That was hard because we were traveling a lot, and a majority of the games we lost were not at home. We would meet and would say ‘We know this is our slump, but we are going to pull out of this’. I think that is something that was so cool about this team. People ask me all the time, ‘Why is this team so special?’, and honestly, I think this team was so special because of what we started in Rio, and that lead us to understanding there is more to life than basketball. Win or lose, we are going to learn from it, grow from it, and we are going to get better.”

“We were playing our best basketball when it mattered and I think it’s because we were facing adversity at the beginning of the season.”

The Fast 10

Nickname?

Everyone has called me “Blev” since middle school. It’s pretty much all I go by.

Justin Bieber or Selena Gomez?

Justin Bieber over Selena Gomez any day.

Favorite song right now?

Pretty much anything on the new Justin Bieber album

If your favorite song came on, would you get up and dance?

I would absolutely get up and dance. I’m usually always dancing to music I like.

Favorite show on Netflix?

House of Cards

Dogs or cats?

I’m absolutely a dog person.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Heavy breathers, I’m not sure why but it has always bothered me so much.

New York City or Los Angeles?

Los Angeles

Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts?

Dunkin Donuts

Fun fact?

Chick Fil A is my favorite food, I would eat it every meal of the day if I could. 

I'm Meg, I'm one of the most gullible, energetic and type A gals you will ever meet. The funny thing? My writing is filled with sarcasm and witty comments that I can't seem to replicate in real life. Which results in "the whole squad roasting me" with jokes. I love people, people of all sorts; family, friends, enemies, even the strangers on the streets. Journalism is an outlet for me as well as passion. My career has given me the chance to hear a magnitude of stories and learn about so many different people in this world. How could someone not love the opportunity to learn something new every day?