sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Everything in your life is going to change during your four years at college and that is completely okay.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

You might be reading this and doing really well right now. I mean on-top-of-the-world, over-the-moon, REALLY good.

You might be reading this during one of the toughest moments of your life–one that you might be wondering about whether you’ll even make it through.

Believe me, no matter where you are or how you’re feeling at this exact moment in time, everything is going to change. It might not be today, or tomorrow, or even the next day. But believe me, it will.

This could honestly be very good for you. Maybe it’s a change you’ve been waiting for and you’ll welcome with open arms. But maybe it’s not, and if it isn’t, honey I’ve been there.

From the beginning of freshman year until now, my life has changed in some major ways.

I have:

1. Changed my major once, added a second minor, and then dropped it only 2 weeks later

2. Found myself with a whole new set of friends than the ones I started with

3. Gotten an internship that changed my idea of my career path

4. Learned how to love better and differently with different people

5. Signed my lease for my first off-campus apartment 

You’re going to find that during these four years, you’ll experience the most change you have in your entire life. Whether it be a few big things or tons of smaller things, they’re coming.

You’ll meet new people, try new things, find out you love these new things and wonder how you ever lived without them. I mean, hey, I found out that I love going to comedy shows. It could literally be anything. You’ll have to learn how to be more flexible and open to new ideas you might have never thought you would be open to. I say all of these things only being two years into the process.

So here are some real things I’ve learned in college so far:

1. College is not about making money at all. Go out, get the experience, and do the work. Volunteer, intern, offer your time. It will all pay off in the end.

2. Go to as many new places as possible while you have the time, friends, and ability to do so.

3. Your friends from freshman year may or may not be there senior year, but you’re going to make some of the best friends you’ve ever had.

4. Be you, whatever that looks like, and whoever that is.

5. You will most definitely gain weight in college and it’s going to suck. The good thing is that you will develop a new sense of self-control when deciding what to eat.

6. If college for you is forgetting your hometown ever existed, don’t you dare look back.

7. Try everything once.

I don’t know where you’re at right mentally or physically, but I do know that we all go through the same struggles, no matter how different we might seem. Maybe you won’t entirely change friend groups, your major, or your career choice, but you might change your living situation, classes, or even just your hair.

No matter who you decide to be and what you decide to do, take every day as it comes. Don’t try to change anything in your life yourself. Trust me, life itself will change you. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Hey there, I'm Mick! I'm an Entertainment Industry Studies major with a double minor in Music Business and Entertainment Journalism. In my free time, I watch a lot of 2000's episodic dramas and make lots of playlists. I love all things entertainment so if you ever need someone to share new to share music with or talk about television and movies with, I'm your person!