This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Christmas is just around the corner, and that means tons of “Secret Santa” pools and stressing over buying the perfect gifts for your friends, family and potentially significant other. As cliche as it sounds, when it comes to gift giving, it’s truly the thought that counts! So what better way to show someone just how much you love them than through a gift you craft yourself? Here are a few DIY gift ideas to put your mind at ease just a bit this holiday season:

DIY Body and Lip Scrubs

Making body and lip scrubs is fairly easy and inexpensive. Typically, scrub recipes call for a combination of coconut or almond oil, a grainy textural element (such as granulated sugar or sea salt) and essential oils or extracts for scent or flavor. Buy scrub ingredients in bulk along with little containers to make gifts for everyone on your list!

Hot Cocoa Kit

To make the actual hot cocoa, you only need 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 ½ cups of powdered milk and a pinch of salt in a mason jar. After you’ve made this base, you can add whatever you’d like to the jar, such as mini marshmallows, peppermint sticks, chocolate chips or even cinnamon and cayenne for a Mexican Hot Cocoa kit! Decorate the jar with some ribbon and you’ve got yourself one *hot* Christmas gift.

DIY Lightbulb Ornaments

Lightbulb ornaments are cute to give and convenient to make! Take any lightbulb and paint the entire exterior either white, brown, or green (to make either a snowman, Rudolph or Christmas tree). For the snowman, paint the buttons and carrot nose once the base layer of paint is dry. Paint the silver top part of the lightbulb a color other than white for the hat, and tie a little scarf made from a scrap of fabric around the neck. For the reindeer, either paint or glue on eyes, add pipe cleaner antlers and glue on a bright red pompom for a nose! For the tree, paint on some garland and glue on some small pompoms or paint glitter “ornaments.”

Even if you wouldn’t consider yourself the Martha Stewart of your friend group or family, a little time and effort go a long way when it comes to gift giving. So roll up your sleeves and start making some thoughtfully jolly homemade gifts!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

I'm from the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts and came to Belmont because I find Nashville oh so dreamy. You can find me listening to an odd mix of Taylor Swift's "Reputation" and the alternative/indie songs on my of-the-month Spotify playlist. I'm a barista at a small coffee shop on Nantucket, and I love coffee, dogs, knitting, long walks on the beach, and, of course, The Office.