This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

On Tuesday it was announced that Donald Trump was putting an end to DACA. This announcement made waves among immigrants and social justice groups. We all know that immigration is a divisive issue that has been the source of many protests, disagreements, and recent news stories. If Trump goes through with his plan to end the initiative put in place under the Obama Administration it could have major effects on those protected as well as the nation as a whole. So what is DACA? What does it do? Read on to get informed about what is happening and how it effects you and people you know.

What is DACA?

DACA stands for Deferred Action for Child Arrivals. It is an initiative that was put in place under President Obama in 2012 that protects young undocumented immigrants from deportation. The program was created through an executive order and has allowed thousands of young people to remain in the United States for work and education. Only those with no serious criminal offenses who arrived before 2007 in the United States while under 16 years old are eligible to receive DACA.

Why are recipients called “Dreamers”?

Those who receive DACA are called “Dreamers” because of the DREAM Act. This act failed to pass Congress under the Obama Administration. It would have enabled those children who immigrated to the States illegally to potentially become a legal resident of the USA.

What is happening with DACA now?

The Trump administration has announced that they are rescinding the DACA program. They determined it to be unconstitutional. No new applications will be accepted and recipients that have a work permit expiring in early March will be allowed to apply for a two year renewal. This announcement has caused a great deal of division among citizens and government officials alike. Over 15 states and D.C. have filed lawsuits against the President because of his decision to end DACA.

The problem with this decision is that DACA is the one thing making an education and bright future possible for thousands of young people. Without this program they will be sent to countries they have never known with people who speak languages they do not speak. Most of the young adults protected by DACA came to the United States as children not knowing that they would forever be defined by the actions of their parents. Some of the Dreamers didn’t even know they were illegal until they tried to apply for college or financial aid. The Dreamers are not illegal criminals they are students, entrepreneurs, friends, learners, and most of all, dreamers.

Note: This is a time necessary for open debate and conversation. I encourage you to share your opinion in a constructive way, but also to listen. Listen to understand, not to respond. Take time to really reflect on what these decisions mean not just for you and your family, but for others. We must love and learn from those around us in order to make a more peaceful union. If this sparks any debate, disagreement, or conversation let it be far from the hateful rhetoric seen so often in the world today. Be kind and open in your life today and everyday.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Ashley Harris

Belmont '20

Ashley Harris is currently a Junior at Belmont Univerity, hailing from Hampton Roads, Virginia. She is majoring in Publishing with a minor in English Writing. She hopes to end up working at a publishing house in NYC, publishing books for children and young adults. She has an affinity for the Christmas/Holiday season, punk rock music, and cool tattoos. You can find her in the nearest bookstore or petting the nearest dog. She also has an ESA resuce cat named Luna!