This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

The 60th anniversary of the Grammys left many speechless. With only a few of the women nominees taking home wins (Alessia Cara and the ladies from Little Big Town), the hashtag #GrammysSoMale went viral. There were a few moments in the night when women were clearly overlooked. One was when Ed Sheeran took the title for Best Pop Solo Performance while the rest of the category was made up of women nominees. Also, Lorde was allegedly the only Best Album of the Year nominee who was not asked to perform during the show, while the rest of male nominees were offered a slot. Needless to say, audience members and viewers all over the country were taken back by this unfair lack of representation. On top of it all, in response to the negative reaction, the president of the recording academy advised women to ‘step up.’

While the recording academy clearly cheated women in the music industry this year, there were still many positive speechless moments that women had throughout the night. So instead of focusing on the entire BS of the 2018 Grammys, let us focus on the important parts of the show that deserve the biggest spotlight.

1. Kesha’s performance of “Praying” supported by a choir of other fearless women entertainers

2. The text from Jenny Holzer’s Inflammatory Essays series pinned on Lorde’s dress to signify a powerful feminist message 

3. The white roses passed out to acknowledge the #MeToo movement 

4. Lady Gaga’s Performance of “Joanne” and “Million Reasons”

5. Pink’s response to the the president of the Grammys 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

I am a freshman music business major, like the majority of Belmont, from the Chicago land area. Like most people, I fell in love with Nashville's music, coffee shops, and obviously all the wall murals. I am a firm believer that one day I will marry Jim Halpert, but until that day, I will wait patiently and keep re-watching The Office. I believe that in an another life time, Amy Poehler and I would be the best of friends. I would hold out hope for this life time, but I am just waiting for her to respond to my emails. Life is good--remember that.