samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Betsy Lane: More Than Your Typical Singer/Songwriter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.
When you think of strong, honest female singers, the likes of Taylor Swift probably come to mind.  Belmont senior and Nashville native, Betsy Lane, has the lyrics and the vocals to earn herself a spot among the best of the best in the industry.  In the midst of preparing for graduation as a Songwriting major and making future plans, we stole a few minutes away from the talented songstress to talk to her about life, music, and where she’s heading next.

What initially brought you to Belmont?  Did you consider any other schools?
Senior year of high school was crazy, I had no idea where I wanted to go or what I wanted to study.  I ended up applying to 14 schools and thought I was finished applying. Then I came home from swim practice one day to a Belmont packet on my bed with a note from my mom that said “They have a songwriting major.  Thought of you.”  I applied to Belmont the next day and after I was accepted, I applied to the songwriting program.  When I got the acceptance letter to the songwriting program, I knew it was where I needed to be.  

You’re getting really close to graduation!  When you think back on your time at Belmont, what are some of your favorite memories?
Belmont has helped me grow in ways that I don’t think other universities could have.  When I look back at the past four years and think about the genuine community and genuine people I’ve met, I’m overwhelmed.  I remember during TT week my freshman year, I would be so filled with joy and the reassurance that I made the right decision that I would want to cry tears of happiness.  I know that doesn’t sound real, but it was (and still it at some points).   I’m sure I’ll cry at graduation because I’m sad it’s over, but also so taken by all the little moments that have shaped who I am.  So to answer your question: I don’t think I have a single favorite memory.  I think they’re all just kinda thrown together to create a giant happy cloud over my college career. 

How has your music evolved during your time at Belmont?
When I came in as a freshman I thought I knew everything about everything I ever needed to know to succeed in the music business. HAHA, I WAS SO WRONG.  I’m still learning.  The songwriting program has helped challenge and push me to be the best possible version of myself as a writer and as an artist.  Being surrounded by so much talent has helped my music evolve into a sound that I’m proud of, but I know I still have a long way to go.  

Music wise, what can we be expecting to hear from you over the next few months?  Is there an EP in the works?
I’ve been sharing demo’s on Soundcloud lately and I think I’ll stick to that for now. No EP in the works.. when I finally put out another one, I want it to really represent who I am and what my story is.  Music has the ability to connect people and share stories that wouldn’t otherwise be shared and that excites me – I just want to make sure I’m doing what is right.   

One of your newest songs, Wish You The Best, is so unapologetically honest, which seems to be a theme in your songs.  Do you ever get nervous before you release a song that’s so personal?
I used to get nervous, but I don’t so much anymore.  There’s definitely a risk in releasing a song that’s soooo honest, but at the end of the day it’s just a song. Anne Lamott says “You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories.” As a songwriter I like to honor that.  It’s my job.  I’m not trying to call anyone out or belittle the situation, I’m just using my emotions to figure stuff out.. and I think once a truly honest song is released, the wound heals itself.  I feels like you spend so much time putting bandaids on bruises and picking at scabs while writing a song, but then once you share it with the world – it grows wings and turns into something beautiful.  I’ve learned that burdens are lighter when people help you bear them. 

What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned in life so far?
Like I said, I’ve learned that burdens are lighter when people help you bear them (Galatians 6).  There is no shame in asking for help and there should be no shame in receiving that help.  Also, who you are is who you surround yourself with.  If you don’t know where you’re going or what you’re doing.. look around at your friends because that’s who you’re becoming, what you’re doing, and where you’re going. 

When you picture yourself 5 years from now, what does your life look like?
In five years I’ll be 27.  Hopefully I’m married.  Hopefully I’ve got a pub deal.  Hopefully I have loved others well enough so they see light and love in the world.  Hopefully I’m in Nashville. But honestly, I have no idea if any of these things I’m hoping will be a reality.  I’m going to work hard and hope that my dreams will come to fruition, and that all of my family is still around, and that I am happy as happy can be – but I just don’t know. 

Keep up with Betsy:
A freshman at Belmont University, Sarah Sholar is pursuing her dream to work in the entertainment industry with full force. Born and raised in small-town North Carolina, she is working to make her spot in a big city. Her loves include Taylor Swift, baking, watercolor painting, and attending every concert within a thirty mile radius.