This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

After all the necessities are covered (textbooks, gas, groceries and the occasional iced coffee) there is very little money left over in the college budget. Even when I do have money left to spend on whatever I want, concerts and events are always coming up that I want to take part in. What money do I have to spend on $50 t-shirts and jeans that must be embroidered in gold for what they are selling for?

For the collegiate looking to remain stylish and expressive without breaking the bank I offer a simple solution, thrift shopping. 

1) Everything is heavily discounted.

Sweaters that would be ridiculously expensive can be purchased for less than $10. Of course for some this justifies buying more sweaters than can possibly fit into a dorm room. 

2) No more rolling into class wearing the same thing as the girl next to you.

When you find a piece there’s no telling when the item was originally purchased. The odds of anyone else from school owning that particular top or skirt is extremely small. 

3) It’s just as entertaining as it is budget friendly.

Make it a game with friends to find the most outrageous t-shirt. I can’t count the number of hours I’ve spent with friends creating outfits and parading around the store. 

4) Not just for clothes. 

Nearly all thrift stores have sections that include anything from vinyl records and CDs to houseware. It’s basically a one-stop shop for everything a college student might need. 

Promise me one thing. If you happen to find the perfect pair of mom jeans, never let them go. You have found what every professional thrift shopper would consider the Holy Grail.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Megan is a second year student at Belmont University, located just outside of downtown Nashville. On any given day you can find her creating a Spotify playlist, jotting down some poetry or searching for a new vintage clothing store. If you go an entire conversation with her and don't hear something about her undying love for Elton John, you didn't talk to her long enough.