sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Answer: I Don’t Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

One of the top questions college students are asked during their time in school is, “What are you going to do after you graduate?” If you are like me, you have a little speech you recite every time someone asks this question. A speech that includes what you want to be, the type of work you want to do, and why you would like to do it. This speech is your lifeline. It faithfully protects you from shamefully having to admit, whether it be to yourself or others, that you really aren’t sure what you want to do. I am guilty of sometimes hiding behind this fake façade, but the reality is I’m one of those people that just doesn’t know. I have no idea what I’m going to do after I graduate. I change my mind everyday. How am I supposed to know what I want to be for the rest of my life when I can barely decide what I want for dinner? The truth is, I don’t know what I want to be. I don’t know where I’m going to go. And that’s OK!

I have only been taking German for two weeks, and in those two weeks I haven’t learned a lot of German (I’m trying guys, it’s just hard). That being said, in my German class I have learned about embracing where I am. My professor, Regine Schwarzmeier, says that the best major to have is an undeclared major. Why? Because while there are those few majestic beings out there who know exactly what and who they want to be, the rest of us are still searching for what we love to do. College is the best time to test the waters and immerse in subjects that inspire us. We’re here to learn, not just about math and history, but about ourselves.  

Now, I do have an idea as to what I would like to do, and as I further my education I am slowly becoming more aware of my strengths and weaknesses. I am gaining understanding of the things I wish to pursue. I have a goal in mind, but every time I think I find the “perfect” job, a week later I’ve changed my mind. I’m a planner. If I could have control of every second of my day, I would. It drives me crazy that I can’t plan exactly what I am going to be doing after I’m done at Belmont. But that’s life. I could make a perfect plan and tell the world about it, but at the end of the day my plans can change. In fact, plans usually do change! The only thing I can do is pursue my interests and trust that God will lead me where I need to go.

Life is full of unknowns that we cannot predict. One of my best friends just changed her major from Audio Engineering to Nursing. I’m pretty sure she didn’t see that coming in her magic 8 ball. Plans change. People change. Only God knows where we’ll end up. Maybe you’ll turn out to be a journalist, a doctor, or a teacher, but the next day you might be a coach, a politician, or a musician. Elle Woods didn’t go to college thinking she would be a lawyer, but look what happened! In Legally Blonde 2 she was taking on Congress. What I’m trying to say is that not knowing where you’re going is part of life. It can either be viewed as a hindrance or it can be viewed as an adventure. It’s my advice that, as you continue to pursue your education and enter adulthood, let your life be an adventure. Don’t worry about what you don’t know, and embrace what you have now. It’s ok to not know what your future holds. No one really ever does. Live for today and you will surely find the unknown you are searching for.

Author Douglas Adams said, “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I’ve ended up where I needed to be.” So if your answer is “I don’t know” don’t sweat it. Just live to your fullest potential and it’ll all work out. 

Kaylinn is a Corporate Communication major at Belmont University located in Nashville, Tennessee. She loves shopping, watching reality tv, and eating pizza. She likes talking politics, but can also hold an equally compelling conversation about the Kardashians. She dreams of traveling the world and living in Italy with her little sister.