This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

1. It’s okay if you don’t find your best friend in TT. 

Welcome week and orientation is a super overwhelming time for everyone involved. While it’s a great atmosphere and you meet a lot of new people, it’s okay if you don’t find the one individual with whom you click with the most. I met one of my best friends through TT, but besides her I didn’t really hang out with the people in my group super often. So don’t be discouraged if you don’t find your person! There are plenty of other opportunities to meet people. 

2. Go to as many convocations as you can. 

Convocation is a graduation requirement, and while you probably feel like you have lots of time to get it done (because you do), you’ll probably want to get as many credits as soon as you can. The more you progress through your program here at Belmont, the heavier your course loads will become, and you’ll be less motivated to go to convo. You don’t want to be that one senior who tries to cram in 30 convocation credits in a semester, so try to go to a lot now. Then, you’ll be able to use convo hour to grab coffee, meet with friends, or study during tougher weeks of the semester. 

3. Take classes you’re interested in. 

This might sound like a no brainer, but hear me out: if you have requirements in your schedule for broad general education classes like humanities or you have to take a certain amount of elective credits, make sure you take classes that will interest you! Whether you’re there to learn something new or because you want an easy class, if you choose something you’re interested in you’re way more likely to meet others who have the same interests as you which means you’ll have an easier time making friends. 

4. Go to the events around campus. 

Belmont has lots of great opportunities for entertaining things to do around campus. In the fall semester there’s Fall Follies, which is an improv show that never fails to make me laugh. Belmont also offers free movies on Friday nights in the Johnson theater and live music beforehand in the Curb Café. There’s also plenty of sporting events both on and off campus that are super fun! Even if sports aren’t your thing, you should go to at least one game while you’re in college. 

5. Take advantage of your student discount/student ID!!

There are so many places you can get discounts with your Belmont ID or even get in for free. For example, the Frist art museum has free admission on certain nights for college students. There is also a discount at the Belcourt Theater for students (as well as free parking) and at SATCO you can get a free drink with your meal when you show them your Belmont ID. You can even tour the Belmont mansion for free with your ID. There also multiple companies and websites like Amazon and Spotify that give student discounts through your student email address. After graduation you won’t have as many opportunities for discounts or free things as a result of your student ID, so use it while you can! 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Rachelle is a junior at Belmont University. She is studying music therapy and has a minor in psychology and hopes to work in hospice someday. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, learning new musical instruments, and spending time with friends.