5 Things College Has Taught Me Beyond Academics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

College is, for most people, one of the biggest transitions of your life. You move away from home, learn utmost independence, and realize that you’re in charge of your future. Ever since coming to Belmont, I have learned many things that have made me a better person and will continue to help me in the future (and hopefully help others).

1. You (and only you) are in charge of your life.

Preceding college, most of us were guided through life by our parents, siblings, teachers, etc. People told us when and how to complete certain tasks, what to do, and how to live life. But in college, I’ve learned that it is up to me to take care of myself. My future is dependent on my hard work and dedication to classes. Now, I get to choose the courses I take and plan my college career according to what I want to do, not what other people want me to do. You are your own boss in college and that is terrifying but beautiful. You also have the responsibility of living with someone else, so you have to take your roommate into consideration and keep your space clean and be respectful of them.

2. Being away from family and friends is difficult, but makes you stronger.

There’s nothing more heartbreaking than hugging your loved ones goodbye before you move to college. These people you share so many memories with will inevitably be far away and harder to stay very close with. Though this is a tough pill to swallow, it makes it so much more special when you see your family and friends on breaks and holidays. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and makes you stronger. It’s okay to miss people back home, but that cannot stop you from reaching out and making new friends in college.

3. You become much more independent and have more freedom.

Curfew who? College is a beautifully free time to explore, dream, and figure out who you really are. You can stay up as late as you wish, spend the weekends how you like, and you are your own boss. It’s exhilarating to know that the world is your oyster, especially attending college in Nashville, one of the most exciting cities in the nation. You’re learning how to live on your own and make wise decisions for yourself.

4. Time management is key.

There’s a lot going on in college, that’s for sure. Projects, essays, readings, and exams all seem to control your life. But learning time management is key for succeeding in college classes. Getting the small daily assignments done first in order to begin working on the big ones is a crucial element. Also, not putting off big papers until the night before is also crucial. Carve out time from your day for assignments, get them done, and then focus on Netflix (not the other way around).

5. It’s what you make of it.

College is hard, that’s no secret. There are days where all you want to do is be home with familiar people in a familiar place. You see other people making many friends and you still feel like you have none. There are other days where you are happy as can be, attending the basketball games and excelling in your classes. Everyone has good days and bad days, but college is ultimately what you make of it. Sitting in your dorm all day won’t help in the long run. You have to take advantage of the opportunities given and the good people around you. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Annie Kerr

Belmont '22

Hi, I'm Annie! I'm from Oklahoma City and I am majoring in English at Belmont University in Nashville! I hope to become a writer or publisher in the future. Some of my favorite things include cats, Christmas, rainy days, books, and romantic comedies!