5 Seconds of Summer at Nashville Municipal Auditorium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

On September 24, Australian boy band 5 Seconds of Summer performed at Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee, as part of their “Meet You There” tour. This was my first time seeing the band in concert, and after the success of their singles “Youngblood” and “Want You Back” this past summer, I was stoked to see them live.

I attended the concert with three friends, only one of whom had seen 5SOS in concert previously. None of us knew exactly what to expect, but had high hopes that it was going to be an unforgettable show.

5SOS performed in Nashville several times in the past―the most recent being this past April at Cannery Ballroom to promote their new album Youngblood prior to its release. In both 2013 and 2014, 5SOS performed in Nashville when they opened for One Direction on their tours. This time around, 5SOS was the headliner. The opening act, The Aces, took the stage at 8 p.m. and performed for roughly thirty minutes. 5SOS took the stage at 9 p.m.

The setlist included 20 songs, mostly from their latest album. The set opened with their songs “Babylon,” “Talk Fast” and “Moving Along.” Some of their older hits, “Amnesia” and “She’s Kinda Hot,” were included toward the middle of the set. Their two most successful hits, “Youngblood” and “She Looks so Perfect,” were performed during the encore.

One shocker occurred late in the show when 5SOS covered the Jonas Brothers’ 2008 hit “Burnin’ Up.” As someone who was a die-hard Jonas Brothers fan throughout grade school, I was elated to hear this even though it was completely unexpected.

At first, my friends and I thought it was part of 5SOS’s official setlist to perform that song on tour. Upon further research, I learned that it is not. This was the first time 5SOS covered that particular Jonas Brothers song at any of their shows. It didn’t take long for the video to be tweeted out and for Kevin and Joe Jonas to react to it.

The Jonas Brothers cover wasn’t the only thing to take me by surprise at the concert. Prior to the show, I was expecting to see an arena packed with teenyboppers fangirling over 5SOS. What I saw were girls and guys from all different age groups jamming out to the music. It didn’t feel like a pop show reserved solely for teenage girls―it felt like a rock show meant for anybody and everybody.

Another thing I noticed about this concert, completely unrelated to the music, was that the doors to the auditorium did not open until ten minutes before the concert began. Typically, the doors to shows open about 60 to 90 minutes before the opening act performs. This was not the case at this particular show, as people were scrambling to get to their seats just at The Aces began their set.

Overall, my friends and I had a blast at this concert. We agreed we will be on the lookout for new music and upcoming concerts from 5SOS in the future. Be sure to get your tickets to the Meet You There tour if they’re coming to a city near you!

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram.

Madeline is a student at Belmont University studying journalism and public relations. She is from Cincinnati, OH. Madeline enjoys writing, traveling, researching fashion trends, engaging in political discussions, and listening to music. After college, she hopes to write about fashion, travel, politics, and other current events.