5 Reasons It’s Important to Spend Time Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

This one’s for all the extroverts out there. I’m the first person to say that I absolutely hate being alone. I feed off of other people’s energy, I have extreme “fomo” when I miss out on things, and I often find myself stretched thin trying to balance social plans, schoolwork, and self-care. Since being in college, I’ve learned just how important it truly is to spend time by yourself even if it’s just for an hour every day. Here’s five reasons why being alone is actually super beneficial to your mental and physical health!

1. Being alone improves productivity!

It can be so easy to make plans to study with someone in the library, hang out in your dorm while casually doing homework with friends, or Facetime someone from home while trying to read your chapter for class. Shutting off your phone and being alone will create a calm environment where you can focus on your work. You might be shocked at how much more work you get done, which will free up time to hang out with your friends!

2. You learn more about yourself.

We live in a world where we’re always trying to please the people around us which often causes us to lose sight of who we are individually. When you’re alone, you don’t have to worry about pleasing the people around you, so you can do whatever brings you joy.

3. It can enhance the quality of your relationships.

When you’re learning so much about yourself, you’re going to be more likely to understand what you want out of the people in your life. When you have a firm grasp of who you personally are, it’s easier to make judgements on who you want to be around and how you want to spend your time.

4. It helps you find new interests.

Alone time doesn’t have to be spent doing homework in your bedroom. Finding an activity that you enjoy doing by yourself can be a super fun way to learn more about yourself and creates a sense of self-exploration that you can’t get when hanging out with your friends.

5. It’s a great way to recharge and rest

Whether you’re feeling stressed about assignments or you’re just simply tired from a busy week, spending even 20 minutes alone to focus on your breathing and be one with yourself can be incredibly helpful for your mental health.

There you have it! Five reasons you should find time to be alone with yourself every day! Sometimes we need to shut out the world. So, sign up for that workout class, put your phone on airplane mode, or put your headphones in and go for a walk. You’ll be surprised with how great it makes you feel!

Tori is a junior nursing major at Belmont University. Throughout her life, she has had a passion for writing. Although she chose to pursue a career in nursing, she still wants to tell stories and hone in on her craft. During her free time, Tori enjoys spin class, exploring coffeeshops in Nashville, and organizing events with her sorority.