This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Nashville is known for The Country Music Hall of Fame, The Opry, and many other tourist attractions. Living in Nashville while going to school at Belmont University has shown me that there is so much history and life buried deep within this city. I will likely never have enough time in my next 3 years here to explore it all, but I thought I would share some of the lesser known gems Music City offers.

For the History Buffs:

1. Timothy Demonbreun’s Cave: This cave is now protected as a national landmark, but back in the day (i.e. the 18th century) our friend Tim lived here… As in, he lived in the cave. He was a fur-trader that is now lauded as the “First Citizen of Nashville.” This Bilbo Baggins-like dwelling can be found on the bank of the Cumberland River, about a mile upstream from Hobbiton Downtown Nashville.
  2. The Hermitage (specifically the bathroom?): The Hermitage is already a pretty famous tourist attraction. It was built by Andrew Jackson who lived there with his wife until his death in 1845. Both Andrew and his wife are buried in the Hermitage’s garden. A lesser known fact is that the men’s bathroom is an award-winning lavatory. It is open for all guests to see, not use.
  3. James K. Polk’s Tomb: A little morbid, yes, but interesting nonetheless. You won’t have to walk through some famous cemetery full of dead presidents and generals to see it either. It is located on the Tennessee Capital Grounds along with his wife, Sarah. In case you’ve forgotten his importance in American history, he is responsible for acquiring around half of the United States’ current territory, so he’s kind of a big deal.
  4. Minister’s Tree House: Do you want to see the World’s Largest Tree House? Well it’s about a 2 hour drive from downtown Nashville, but it’s worth it. Standing at a whopping 97 feet tall, the house was built around an 80 foot white oak tree with a base spanning 12 feet. Horace Burgess was inspired to build the massive structure in 1993 when God told him to do so. Because of safety concerns visitors cannot go inside, but you can still appreciate its size and 80 rooms from down below.

For the Aspiring Ghost Hunter:

1. The Bell Witch Cave: As the legend goes, a strange and evil spirit terrorized the Bell family and eventually killed the patriarch, John. On the Bell family farm, is the cave in which she supposedly saved a young boy who got stuck while exploring. Tours are now given so you can experience her presence for yourself.
  2.  The Evil Dead Cabin: If you enjoyed the movie you should put this on your list. Take a road trip to Morristown, TN to visit the set of the iconic horror film. The place looks more like ruins than an actual cabin since the director, Sam Raimi, went above and beyond to get the perfect shot.
  3. Carnton Plantation: The site of the Battle of Franklin during The Civil War, The Carnton Plantation is said to be one of the largest cemeteries for Confederate soldiers. Rumors of soldier’s ghosts wandering the grounds and a little girl in the kitchen bring visitors from all over.
  4. The Belmont Mansion: Located on the Belmont University campus, this home was built in 1850 by Adelicia Cheatham. Belmont security guards, students, and other visitors have claimed to see the woman wandering the halls of her former home. She also has a tendency to set of motion detectors at night.

For the Nature Lover:

1. Percy Priest: About 12 miles from downtown is Percy Priest Lake. This lake offers everything; camping, fishing, and boating. Visitors are able to rent boats, pontoons, wakeboards, and more.
  2. Radnor Lake: Popular among Belmont and Vanderbilt students, Radnor Lake is a fun place to get out in nature. With hiking trails, intern programs, and an aviary there is something for everyone.
  3. Lost Sea: Although it’s a little farther away, The Lost Sea is a fascinating and beautiful place. It is home to America’s largest underground lake and caverns that are available to tour. It is recognized as a National Natural Landmark that goes 140 feet below ground level.

For the Foodie:

1. Marsh House/ LA Jackson: A double whammy. The main floor is The Marsh House, a seafood dining spot, while the second floor houses LA Jackson a rooftop bar with amazing views.
  2. Martin’s Bar-B-Que: One of the best places to barbeque in the South. Award-winning and delicious.
  3. San Antonio Taco Company: An easygoing, relaxed restaurant that serves some of the best Tex Mex in Nashville. Bonus: Its budget friendly prices make eating out easier on your wallet.
  4. The Grilled Cheeserie : Any Nashville native knows the Grilled Cheeserie Food Truck, but 2017 has brought us a permanent Melt Shop. Get any kind of grilled cheese you could imagine plus one of their delicious milkshakes.
  5. Dolce Vita Pizza: My favorite. I have never had better pizza than this. Dolce Vita is perfect and you need to try it now.

Other Fun Things:

1. See a Nashville Predators game: You don’t have to be a hockey fan to have a good time! The electric atmosphere will get you excited!
  2. The Adventure Science Center: A cool interactive museum that is great for kids. Let’s be honest you’ll have fun too.
  3. The Escape Game: Grab some friends or go with your fam to see if you can beat the clock in this real-life puzzle.
  4. SOAR Adventure Tower: Channel your inner Tarzan on this sky-high obstacle course. Kids as young as 4 can participate! *Not for the faint of heart or fearer of heights*

There is so much more to Nashville than Broadway or The Grand Ole Opry. While those things are great, you shouldn’t miss the heart and history of this amazing city. You just have to dig a little deeper.

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram 

Ashley Harris

Belmont '20

Ashley Harris is currently a Junior at Belmont Univerity, hailing from Hampton Roads, Virginia. She is majoring in Publishing with a minor in English Writing. She hopes to end up working at a publishing house in NYC, publishing books for children and young adults. She has an affinity for the Christmas/Holiday season, punk rock music, and cool tattoos. You can find her in the nearest bookstore or petting the nearest dog. She also has an ESA resuce cat named Luna!