10 Books Every Girl Should Read in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

1. We Are Okay

This is a story of a friendship that hit the rocks when life got hard. We’ve all been there, and the healing these friends find will make you laugh, and also make you cry. 

Image Credit: Pixabay

2. The Hate U Give 

This book has been in the spotlight for a while, and for good reason. It tackles highly political content that is extremely relevant to our world today. 

3. Turtles All the Way Down

John Green creates another masterpiece in this novel. The main character lives with anxiety and tries to navigate her world while experiencing spiraling thoughts. 

4. Invisible Ghosts 

A story of love and loss, this book will tug at your heartstrings. Robyn Schneider tells another dazzling story in this novel, and this will forever be one of my favorite books. 

5. Whisper to Me

This book breaks the ceiling of stigma by discussing schizophrenia, and the voices we hear in our heads. 

6. Kids Like Us

This novel follows the story of Martin, a teenager with autism who is living in France. He goes to high school there and experiences love, something he never thought he would be able to do. 

7. All the Bright Places

Jennifer Niven tells a captivating story in this novel, and I read through it in a day without putting it down. This novel covers everything: life and death, love and loss, and growth and stagnancy. 

8. The Museum of Intangible Things 

This is another book that breaks some of the stigma surrounding mental illness. It tells the story of two best friends, one of whom lives with bipolar disorder. 

9. Holding Up the Universe

Libby, the main character in this book, struggles with the way she feels about herself, a story I feel most girls can relate to. It tells the story of her learning to love and accept herself; it will make you laugh, cry, and everything in between. 

Image Credit: Pixabay

10. Words in Deep Blue

Everyone has that one friend they wonder what it would be like to be more than friends with. This is a story that looks at the “what ifs” and the “what happened” between two friends who want to break out of the friendzone. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Rachelle is a junior at Belmont University. She is studying music therapy and has a minor in psychology and hopes to work in hospice someday. Along with writing, she enjoys reading, learning new musical instruments, and spending time with friends.