Your Guide to BC Clubs: “Freshmen, please join our ListServ and have a lollipop!”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Maybe you were the girl’s volleyball team co-captain or the editor-in-chief of your high school newspaper.  Not anymore!  Now you’re an incoming freshman faced with many opportunities to get involved at BC.

Freshmen, you are now fresh meat.  Now before you get weird-ed out, let me explain.  With over 200 different clubs, student life at BC is extremely active.  Incoming freshmen provide the new memberships BC organizations need to continue their existence.  Simply said, freshmen are the future and are welcomed into clubs with open arms.

On Student Activities Day, you realized just how many clubs there are to choose from.  How could you possibly dedicate time to all of them in addition to managing your course load?  When are you going to sleep?  However, upperclassmen promoted their organizations so well that you kept writing down your email address to sign yourself up.  You won’t realize how many clubs you’ve committed yourself to until you check your inbox a week later and realize you have over 50 emails informing you about general first meetings.

This is where Her Campus BC comes in: write for us! Seriously, we’re a fun, dedicated group of girls who write about trendy topics related to BC and collegiette™ women’s interests.  

Other than Her Campus, there are hundreds of other clubs to get involved in at BC.  To help prepare you for Student Activities Day, I’ve created a brief list that represents the wide variety of extracurricular options that BC offers.  Trust me, this will help you avoid filling up your inbox.

By category:
1.    Performing Arts
2.    Sports
3.    Volunteerism
4.    Leadership
5.    Various

1.  Performing Arts
Boston College Dance Ensemble gives students the opportunity to choreograph, perform, and contribute to the arts community.  The group holds bi-annual productions in Robsham Theatre, performs at Arts Fest, and with BC bOP!  Last spring, BCDE made its first appearance in the ALC Showdown.  “The Ensemble is dedicated to The Campus School, a non-profit special education day school for students aged 3-21 with multiple disabilities, and donates all proceeds from performances to this organization,” says the director of BCDE, Alanna Romano A&S’12.

Auditions are Sept.10th in the Brighton Dance Studio.  An extensive background in dance with experience in a variety of styles is strongly encouraged.  Watch to see what you could be a part of!

Boston College Irish Dance is an organization that showcases the talents of students who have Irish dancing experience.  “The BCID family has grown very close, and many of us could not imagine giving up Irish Dance before coming to BC,” describes Bridget Keaney A&S’12, co-president of BCID. “Joining the club is a great way to continue Irish Dance through college, meet lots of new people, and make new friendships.”

Along with their spring performances in Robsham Theatre, they showcase their talent at the AIDS Benefits, the Uganda Benefit, Relay for Life and Arts Festival.  An exciting addition this coming year: BCID will be performing at Boston Fashion Week.  Auditions are on Sept. 13th in the O’Connell Dance Studio on Upper Campus.  In the meantime, check out these videos of the team!

[pagebreak]

The Madrigal Singers of Boston College aim to create and nurture a sense of appreciation for a cappella music, particularly the music of the European Renaissance.  The group holds performances both semesters and performs at BC’s A Cappella Fest and Arts Fest.  President of the Madrigals, Katie Weintraub A&S’12 says, “although we tackle an ambitious program and rehearsals are very singing-intensive, we make an effort to understand the history, sentiment, and musicality behind it.”  

Auditions are Sept. 13th-14th on the fourth floor of Lyons Hall and no prior singing experience is required. Besides with this group, where else can you dress up in Renaissance costumes and sing?

Voices of Imani allows students to embrace their spirituality through music and to interact with a group of diverse, supportive individuals.  Jacqueline Sull A&S’12, co-public relations leader of Voices, explains “Voices hopes to offer a sense of guidance and strength to anyone who chooses to join our family.”  Members remain close friends outside the context of the club’s bi-weekly rehearsals.  Voices of Imani is invited to sing at the annual Martin Luther King Banquet and Arts Fest.  They also coordinate shows with other BC groups such as the B.E.A.T.S. and the Multi Cultural Fellowship’s liturgical dance group.

No auditions are required to join Voices.  Whether you have sung all your life or worry you are tone deaf, Voices will welcome you.  Members may also register for the club as a class to receive course credit.

Females Incorporating Sisterhood Through Step is both a sisterhood of support and a competitive step dance team.  “Being on F.I.S.T.S. is an amazing opportunity because you create such a great bond with your teammates who soon become known to you as your ‘sisters,’” Jennifer Cayemite A&S’12, president of F.I.S.T.S., says. New members can expect a new group of friends, stepping, community service, and a fun safe sense of community at BC.

F.I.S.T.S. regularly performs at dance showcases and competitions on and off campus, including the ALC Showdown.  No previous experience is required.  Try out on Sept. 12th or 13th, and bring a friend!  Check out F.I.S.T.S in the news!

2. Sports
Women’s Rugby Football Club represents BC in rugby games and tournaments in the New England area both semesters and aspires to make it to playoffs and, ultimately, nationals.  “One of the things that makes joining BCWRFC so much fun is that rugby is something most people have never played and many people have never even heard of.  By joining BCWRFC, you’re really joining a family that will always be there for you even long after graduation,” says Josephine Bouquet LSOE’13, vice-president of BCWRFC.

No previous experience is necessary and there’s room for every type of person- from soccer players to dancers to people who didn’t play sports in high school and want to try something new.

The team winning at the Beast of the East Championships 2011.

Women’s Water Polo prides itself on being successful in league tournaments and at Nationals, as well as striving to make a bond between all of the players, no matter their grade or experience level. “Personally, becoming a part of this team freshman year made a huge difference in my college experience and I’m so grateful to have met such a loving and supportive group of girls,” explains Meredith Behm A&S’13, captain of BCWWP.

The club competes all over New England in the hopes of attaining a bid to compete at Nationals.  Tryouts are at the end of January; however, a pre-season in the fall allows new players to try to tackle the game.  Although experience is not necessary, the team relies heavily on having a strong swimming endurance, so past swimming experience is encouraged.

The Women’s Water Polo team post-competition, all smiles.

The Figure Skating Club is a great place to continue skating in a low-pressure environment while having lots of fun.  There is a synchronized component as well as a freestyle component- both compete regionally and nationally.  BCFSC is a great way to make friends with similar interests, stay in shape, and feel involved at BC.

In order to join the figure skating club, you must have experience skating.  No test levels are required for the freestyle team, but to join the Synchro team, you should have at least passed the Pre-preliminary level.  The Synchro team has tryouts in October, during which skaters are asked to demonstrate their basic skating skills.  No previous Synchro experience is necessary.

[pagebreak]

3. Volunteerism
Best Buddies of Boston College pairs students (college buddies) with individuals who live in the BC area with intellectual disabilities (buddies) to form long-lasting friendships.  Each month, the BC chapter hosts group events for both college buddies and buddies that include activities such as a trip to the aquarium, a Halloween costume party, and a basketball game.  Participants are interviewed before they are matched with a buddy and then meet with their buddy once a week, including the monthly group event.

“Our biggest activity of the year is hosted at BC, and is called BuddyRama.  It brings together colleges in the Boston area with Best Buddies chapters for one big party,” says Miguel Londono CSOM’12, president of Best Buddies.

Eagle EMS provides emergency first response medical stand-by and is run completely by students who are all certified EMTs.  The organization provides assistance at BC events, ranging from concerts and football games to dances and recreational figure skating.  New participants are required to be CPR-certified, but don’t necessarily need to be EMT certified.  The 150-hour course for EMT certification is offered at BC.  Participants can also join any of the certified EMTs on their shifts as observers.  Uniforms and equipment are provided.

“Personally, I enjoy the people.  We have over 100 team members, and most have similar interests.  As a freshman, most of the friends I’ve made came from being in this club,” says Kevin Wickersham A&S’13, vice-president of Eagle EMS. “In doing this work, I actually changed my major from pre-med to doing this type of work for the rest of my life.”

Eagle EMS prepares for emergencies with equipment at hand.

4. Leadership
GLBTQ Leadership Council works with the Undergraduate Government of Boston College to provide a safe space for GLBTQ students and to put on educational programs and fun activities for all students on campus.  A new participant can expect to become a full member of GLC and will immediately have a whole new group of friends and a great support system to help them through freshman year.

GLC hosts the annual celebration of National Coming Out Week on campus and puts on the GLC Gala, and many more events.  “The perks include being an awesome person, free Support Love swag and much more,” says Joshua Tingley A&S’12, vice-president of GLC.  GLC welcomes everyone with any life experiences.

The Student Organization Funding Committee provides registered student organizations with an equitable system of funding to give each organization the opportunity to provide BC with a wide array of activities.  “SOFC is a great way to learn and help impact the vibrancy on Boston College’s campus,” Jeffery White CSOM’12 says.  

Applicants must interview and submit a resume.  Each participant not only gains incredible budgeting experience, but also a unique perspective of student life on campus.  A new participant can expect to be directly responsible for about eight BC clubs, as well as vote for and offer advice on all funding decisions for the registered student organizations SOFC covers.  Each applicant must be hard-working, team-oriented, have an open mind, and be able to critically think through complex problems.  

[pagebreak]

5. Various
Sub Turri Yearbook produces a 500-page yearbook every year that documents the academic year through photos and text.  The staff works extremely hard from September to March to make sure all campus events, programs, clubs, organizations, and students are accurately covered.  The yearbook is an excellent take-away for seniors who want to look back on their last year at BC.

A new participant can expect late nights making deadlines, meeting a great staff of people, and feeling proud of a high-quality publication.  A perk of being on the staff is getting press passes to events (including football games and concerts), getting a free yearbook, and holding the amazing finished product in your hands!  Apply online at bc.edu/yearbook. 

Mock Trial provides opportunities for students interested in learning more about the legal system, including the aspects of prosecuting and defending a case, courtroom procedures, and law in general.  “Not everyone is necessarily law school bound- prior members have gone on to a variety of career paths, such as business and medicine,” reassures Christopher Duffy A&S’13, the program coordinator for Mock Trial.

The team competes against the best Mock Trial programs in the east, including BU, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Tufts, and Princeton. There’s usually a tryout to become a member of this club, however no prior experience is required!

The Mock Trial team dressed formally at an event last year.

Japan Club of Boston College has four primary goals: promote Japanese culture and awareness in the BC community; provide a learning experience concerning all facets of Japan; increase knowledge of the importance of maintaining cordial US-Japan relations; and establish an atmosphere that welcomes all who are interested in learning the Japanese as well as the Asian culture.

“We are a warm and welcoming group of people who are open to making new friends,” says Janice Tam CSOM’13, co-president of JCBC.  The perks?  Performing in the club’s annual culture show in traditional and modern dances and savoring tasty Japanese food.  Check them out on Facebook!

Allies is a group of GLBTQ and straight students who work to promote the acceptance of people of all sexual orientations.  Allies dedicates itself to creating a safer and friendlier environment for people of all sexual orientations through education, support, and community building.

Allies is an opportunity to hang out with a fun, friendly, and supportive group of individuals from all different backgrounds.  Annual events include the Ally Pledge as a part of National Coming Out Week in October and the annual Day of Silence in April.  They welcome anyone and everyone to join Allies!

[pagebreak]

Real Food has the overall goal of making 20% of the food on campus come from local or sustainable sources by 2020.  The club is a very sociable one, complete with cooking classes, a community garden, and large themed dinners multiple times a year.  Anybody who works in the garden is free to take home some of the produce, which is the freshest you can get.  A new participant can come to any amount of events.  “Regardless of the event, there is always food abounding,” says Joshua Gild A&S’12, president of Real Food.

The Real Food team out gardening on Brighton Campus.

Keep in mind, sometimes something new could be a great adventure.  Go beyond your high school role of Girl’s Volleyball Team Co-Captain- become the next lead singer of an a capella group, write poems for literary magazines, become a social movement leader, or fight for a cause.  You could even create a new club.

Any upperclassman at BC can tell you how they met many of their closest friends through the activities they were involved in.  When you get involved in a club, you are immediately joining a network of people who have similar interests as you.  You’ll also find that senior members of a club can be great mentors to guide you through BC’s academic and social life.

So get involved and start making those memories!

Helpful Links:
Complete List of Student Clubs
Club Sports
Information about Student Involvement Fair (Student Activities Day)
Multicultural Clubs
To join/exit a listserv

Katie Moran is a junior at Boston College, majoring in Communication. Originally from Seattle, she loves the East Coast but misses her rainy days and Starbucks coffees. On campus, Katie is involved with Sub Turri Yearbook, the Appalachia Volunteer Program, UGBC Women's Issues Team, Cura, and the Women's Resource Center Big Sister Program. She loves reading, watching "Friends," and exploring new places. She has a passion for creating and hopes to begin a career in marketing and advertising.