This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Knitting is a productive, relaxing hobby. More precisely, spending your time making things for yourself or loved ones is grounding and affirming. Anyone can learn how to knit, and everyone should! It’s an excellent skill and a good use of time.

“What time? Me? I have no time! I’m so stressed!” you could be thinking. You’re probably a busy person, and I get that. However, if you can make time for watching five seasons of “Breaking Bad” in under a month, you can probably make time for knitting. Plus, you can do both at the same time!

Get in a knitting state of mind. Here’s the thing: Knitting is relaxing. Learning how to knit is slightly less relaxing. Frustration is normal, and so is messing up. Luckily, once you learn how to knit, you’ll have the skill forever (or be able to re-learn it quickly, probably). The first time you sit down to learn how to knit, give yourself about an hour. Try a little more each day. Soon enough, you’ll have stuff!

Buy some yarn and knitting needles. Go to your local craft store to pick out a yarn that suits you, and purchase the needles the yarn recommends on its label. I’d recommend getting a thick but tightly spun yarn, so you can make more quickly (thicker yarn = quicker) but with less clumsiness (looser yarn = more mistakes). I would also recommend a solid color that will look good on you (you’ll probably make an ear warmer or ten).

Learn the basic techniques.

Practice stitches. Make small swatches but try to perfect your technique and consistency.

Decide what to knit. Earwarmers/headband-y things are a great place to start.

Start small. However tempting it may be to try to make a sweater or huge scarf first, I wouldn’t advise it.

Learn a new decorative technique. Learning how to make cables will really up your game, especially for your headbands. I’d recommend making a swatch for each new technique. One of my favorites is cable knitting and simple instructions can be found here!

Use a pattern. So patterns can be intimidating. It’s okay! If your basic technique is good and consistent, and you can make a basic cable, you’re ready for an easy pattern. When using a pattern, keep a piece of paper on hand to keep track of the rows you have created.

Cable Knitted Five-braid Headband that I love

Alas, the knitting equation is simple:

You + Effort + Time + Yarn + Needles = Relaxation + Stuff + You

Since we all took math, we can see that Yarn = Stuff (just go with it, okay?), so really:

Effort + Time = Relaxation    (w/knitting)

And of course, this is somewhat true:

Effort + Time = Better grades

So Maybe…

Relaxation = Better grades  (w/knitting)

Or maybe not? Probably not. Anyways, you should learn to knit! It’s fun and productive.

Photo Sources:

http://www.owlswakeup.com/2013/03/diy-braided-knit-headband.html

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85777842/cashmere-merino-hand-dyed-sock-yarn-115g?utm_campaign=Share&utm_medium=PageTools

http://kids.britannica.com/elementary/art-88162/Many-people-enjoy-knitting-sweaters-scarves-and-other-types-of?&articleTypeId=38

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum