Worth Freezing For: Frozen Fenway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Two of my favorite things in the world, BC hockey and the city of Boston, came together for one amazing event this past weekend: Frozen Fenway. On this particular Saturday night, when temperatures hovered around the zero-degree mark in Beantown, No. 14 Notre Dame came into town to face No. 6 Boston College for the first time as Hockey East rivals. Junior forward Johnny Gaudreau scored two goals, including the game-winning goal in the third period, as BC edged ND, 4-3 at a frozen Fenway Park. As a devout BC hockey lover, I could not have enjoyed a game more in nearly sub-zero temperatures.

In preparing for the game on such a chilly night, warmth was obviously a main concern as we expected to be outside for at least four hours in such cold temperatures. UnderArmour layers, a Patagonia fleece, and a ski jacket were completely necessary as were the two pairs of gloves and furry ear warmers that I donned. Legal Seafood’s clam chowder that was served at the game, hot chocolate, and hand warmers were also amongst my necessities. With a wind chill pushing the temperature lower and lower, desperation to stay warm took over. For anyone planning on attending an outdoor hockey game in the middle of winter, I highly suggest layering at least four or fives layers and covering up as much skin as possible!

Aside from the blistering cold, the game was certainly an exciting one. The Eagles took an early 2-0 lead, but the Irish soon responded and the score was soon 3-3. Lo and behold, Gaudreau, doing what he does best, scored the game-winner at 8:21 of the third period, zipping a shot between the pads of Irish goaltender Steve Summerhays to break the tie and eventually come away with the victory. Gaudreau, a 2013 Hobey Baker Memorial Award finalist for the top player in NCAA Division I men’s ice hockey, had previously been named MVP of the Three Rivers Classic in Pittsburgh on December 27-28. He is a fan favorite and an absolutely amazing player to watch, especially at such a huge event like Frozen Fenway.

As a Boston College student, I was so proud to be surrounded by fellow Bostonians who were cheering for BC just as passionately and loudly as I. The game showed me the size and passion of BC hockey’s fan base as they packed Fenway Park and clearly out-cheered the Irish fan section. For this latest game of the “Holy War,” BC came out victorious, extending their lead in the all-time series to 18-13-2. The next time these two teams will play is set for February 28, 2014 at BC. Luckily, this time it will be indoors and I won’t have to wear every layer I own!

Photo Source:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/spo…

Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum