This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

The most sacred rule of fashion etiquette: don’t wear white after Labor Day. Who’s the big shot that came up with this rule? It’s not like anyone is going to shun you if you wear white on a random Wednesday in November.

Apparently, this “rule” came about in the late 1800s when snobby and hot-to-trot millionaire’s wives decided to make a bunch of fashion rules so that they could tell who was in their social circle, and who was out. I personally find this rule ridiculous, especially since the majority of my wardrobe consists of black, white and beige (exciting, I know). But, coming from Miami where it’s summer all year-round, white jeans are a staple in every woman (and man’s) wardrobe. I think it’s about time to break away from this rule and embrace winter whites. New England seems to have this rule down pat – come the first weekend in September, boys and girls alike are wearing white jeans like it’s their job, enjoying every last minute before they have to put these precious pants away. Post-Labor Day, the color white is untouchable and ignored for 9 months until our skin is bronzed and kissed by the summer sun once again.

According to runway trends for Fall/Winter 2012, head-to-toe white ensembles are a go-to this season. Designers put a stop to this madness of a rule as models strutted down the runways in white pants, jackets and silk blouses without any regard for this sacred rule we all seem to follow. Why do we feel the need to follow this rule, or myth, I venture to say? I’m still not sure, but don’t put your white jeans away just yet. Try lightening up the dreary weather this winter with a winter-white palette. If you’re anxious or nervous about how to style your whites this season, here are some outfit ideas just for you.

I am currently a student at Boston College studying Communications & French.
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.