Why You Should Visit the Career Center Before Second Semester Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

I know as well as anyone that the Career Center can be an intimidating place, and that it’s a place we try to avoid visiting for as long as possible. As freshmen, we’re trying to get used to the college culture and figure out our place at BC. I know from experience that the last thing freshmen want to think about are their careers and their life after college. If you’re a freshman, you’re probably thinking, I just got here! However, there’s no time like the present, so start thinking about the process as early as possible!

A Career Center representative visited my Courage to Know class my first semester freshman year and explained that the Career Center isn’t just for seniors. She further explained the variety of services the Career Center offers and encouraged us all to make an appointment to talk to a career counselor about choosing a major or about possible career paths. I followed her advice and visited the career center once freshman year but neglected to visit it again until returning to campus this semester when the panic of my looming graduation hit me.  

I regret not visiting the Career Center more during my time here at BC and not taking advantage of all the great resources it has to offer. The Career Center can be just as helpful to freshmen as seniors, so take advantage of it! The following are some of the resources/services available:

1. Take the SkillScan assessment and/or the Strong Interest Inventory. These assessments can help you examine your skills, interests, and values and can help you narrow down or choose a career path that is right for you. After you take either assessment, you can meet with a career counselor to discuss the results. I took both of these assessments freshman year and they helped me make my decision to transfer to Lynch.

2. Meet with a career counselor to discuss possible career opportunities in your field of interest. Are you interested in a certain subject area, but aren’t really sure how that subject area translates into a possible career? A career counselor can give you some ideas, give examples of what other BC graduates did/are doing in the field, and point you to different resources where you can do some research.

3. Attend internship and career fairs. Networking is key. Introducing yourself to an employer in person who has a partnership with BC can do wonders and can help you land that internship or job you really want. Employers are much more likely to hire someone they have met and may have even made a personal connection with than someone who they only know from his/her resume.

4. Help writing or revising your resume/cover letter. Writing a resume or cover letter can be difficult, especially when writing one for the first time. You may not be sure what to highlight, what to include, or how to describe your various work or volunteer experiences. The Career Center page on the BC website has some great tips and examples of both resumes and cover letters, but if you still need help, you can make an appointment with a career counselor or go to the career center’s drop-in hours.   

5. Practice your interview skills. Interviews skills are extremely important, especially if you really want that internship or job. You can practice your interview skills on InterviewStream, an online system in which you answer questions posed by a virtual interviewer. After recording your interview, you can make an appointment with a career counselor and review it.

For more information on any of the above services/resources, visit the BC Career Center’s website!

Photo Sources:

http://www.astroupay.com/2013/12/astro-tips-how-to-choose-right-career.html

http://www.myfuturepalmbeach.org/student-college-and-career-exploration

http://careeredge.bc.edu

http://www.slideshare.net/alinaemma/career-vs-profession-vs-major-25314419

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum