Why You Should Do Appa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Every year massive groups of people from BC join forces during spring break and participate in a phenomenon called Appalachia.  “Appa,” as we all like to call it, is one of those service trips/experiences at BC that I can honestly say changed my perspective and even changed my life for the better. 

I’m currently a sophomore here at BC and this was my first year doing Appalachia.  I went to a small habitat trip to New Rochelle, NY with possibly the most amazing group of people I’ve ever met in my life.  I realized that my group gets along so well because we are 13 completely different people that somehow complement each other. 

The lessons that I’ve learned on my first of many Appalachia trips are as follows: 

1. APPALOVE is a REAL thing

This occurs when you are spending time with people you barely know 24/7.  It’s a survival instinct, you either partake in the group (become friends) or you don’t (nobody chooses this option), hence, Appalove.  It’s crazy to think about, but having breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well as cooking, reflecting, sleeping next to each other in sleeping bags, working together in a community, and just hanging out with everybody for a week straight is the ultimate bonding experience.  Even after Appa is over, when we see anyone from our Appa group we forget about everything else and immediately go to them.  Those of you who have never experienced Appalove have obviously never been to Appa before. 

2. Reflecting SOOTHES the SOUL and is AWESOME

Talking about your life and your experiences makes you realize how far you’ve come.  Whether it’s coming from a completely different country, knowing people you’ve never expected to become friends with, or trying new things you gain a sense of wisdom by reflecting on your life that you can share with other people.  Even better, you get to hear people’s stories and understand them as individuals. 

3. Complete STRANGERS can and will become FRIENDS during Appalachia

Obviously, we all have our initial reactions to people we just met, but by getting to know them in such a short amount of time, and knowing them for who they really are, we realize that our judgements are almost always mistaken.  This not only applies to our Appa group, but to people met on the work site or on the community served.  People who you thought were a certain way turn out to be the exact opposite, and this is a humbling experience. 

4. SIMPLE Living is a GOOD type of Living

No TV, no Internet, no phone usage (sometimes), taking a shower only when it is possible, sleeping on the floor, plumbing troubles, etc. are just unusual, but awesome, ways to get to know people.  When the only form of entertainment is playing games such as MAFIA (my personal favorite), NINJA, and Pictionary Telephone, you know you are going to bond with your group. 

5. Being VULNERABLE is HEALTHY

There comes a point in our Appa experience, about the third day of having met, that you just feel in a safe haven around your Appa group.  You will not be judged or be looked down upon because at this point, everybody in the group is willing to be who they truly are and most importantly willing to accept other people as they truly are.  Reflection serves as a daily cathartic experience making Appalachia that much more vivid and real.  

Testimonials

“Appalachia allowed me to have a completely different cultural experience.  I created bonds with complete strangers from BC that I would never have expected.” –Ellen Boyle

“Appa was such a great experience for me because it gave me a chance to take a step back from my life here at BC and reprioritize what is important to me.” –Eleanor Sciannella

“Appalachia is the best thing that has happened to me in a really long time.  I love my group so much.” –Isabel Guillén (yup, I quoted myself)

“Best weeks of my BC experience–  the relationships made with other students and with the communities are some of the most meaningful connections I have made.” –Stef Smith

If you have already done Appalachia, you can understand these lessons perfectly, maybe even more than I currently can.  However, if you want to experience these lessons on a firsthand basis, I strongly recommend that you at least consider doing Appalachia in the near future, because these lessons are meant to be experienced, but most importantly they are meant to be shared.  

Viviendo poco a poco la mejor vida posible.
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.