Why We Shouldn’t Be Shipping Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Here comes an unpopular opinion: We should stop dreaming of a relationship to happen between Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

Following Cooper and Gaga’s extraordinary Oscars performance of the award-winning song, Shallow, everyone wants to see them together, including Tiffany Haddish and pretty much all of Twitter. It is undeniable to question the chemistry they had up on that stage together. As they sing the last lines of the song and take a breath, you can imagine that their lips meet for a kiss. In fact, the vast majority of viewers are wishing that they kissed.

Yes, it would be a dream if Cooper and Gaga fall in love and live happily ever after unlike their characters in A Star is Born. The thing is that Cooper has a girlfriend. In fact, he and Irina Shayk have reportedly been together since 2015 and have a 23-month-old daughter together. By over glorifying this performance for something that is it we are suggesting that we want to see Lady Gaga break up this family. We do not want Lady Gaga to be the one to break up a happy family. Instead, we should cherish the fact that she and Cooper have a strong, genuine friendship. Can’t a man and a woman be friends with no romance?

This is a topic that has been talked about for years. Besides the point, we should acknowledge Cooper and Gaga as not just friends, but brilliant actors. They were both nominated for an Oscar for best lead actress/actor. They went up on the stage and made us believe that they were in love with each other. They were doing their job.

Another point that needs to be made is the beautiful speech that Gaga delivered when she won an Academy Award for Shallow. She shared an inspiring message about not giving up and continuing to push yourself harder and harder.

Gaga’s speech was the real star of the night, not Cooper and Gaga’s performance.

Boston College senior who loves Dunkin Donuts french vanilla swirl iced coffee, Friends, John Mulaney, and Swedish Fish.  
Rising sophomore at Boston College.