Why The Vagina Monologues are Empowering

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Many of you may have seen Boston College’s production of The Vagina Monologues this past weekend. If you did, you know that they were amazing. If you didn’t get a chance to see it, you really should try and make it next year.

There is a clout of disapproval and discomfort over The Vagina Monologues at Boston College, perhaps because people don’t really understand what they are exactly. The Vagina Monologues raise awareness about violence against women and girls in addition to giving young women a chance to finally listen and talk about their vaginas! The show itself is a series of monologues created by Eve Ensler, who originally interviewed many women and decided to raise awareness by putting all of these stories and responses into a set of monologues. 

The monologues range from super serious to having you cry from laughing so hard, but they are always informative. Many people (both men and women) are hesitant to support The Vagina Monologues because they think that they are sexual and dirty, or that they are simply weird feminists talking about their “down-theres,” but the monologues are so much more than that!  I have never watched a performance and left feeling so empowered as I did after seeing The Vagina Monologues both last year and this year. The monologues speak to real issues that many girls, young women, and old women face, that nobody ever talks about because it isn’t socially acceptable. These issues were finally brought up, and they were discussed with such enthusiasm and courage.

I applaud all the men and women who went to see the shows, but I especially applaud all of the wonderful women who performed in the show. My best friend has directed this show these past two years, and I know the opposition and ignorant disapproval these women face each year. In contrast to those who look down pretentiously upon The Vagina Monologues, I suggest that you come to the show and open up your eyes. Whether you are a man or a woman, it is empowering and liberating to be able to discuss things that are normally swept under the rug.

Many jokes were made about the BC themed names for a vagina in the show. The jokes were hilarious, but I think they’re getting at something there. Other universities, such as University of Pennsylvania, have incorporated their own university-themed monologues.  I think it would be refreshing, eye opening and empowering for Boston College students to do a similar survey.  Let’s ask BC women, “If your Vagina could talk, what would it say?” or “What would it wear?” These monologues are great, but there are definitely women at BC who are suffering or wishing they could talk about things, but they don’t feel comfortable. Let’s open the doors to female liberation and empowerment

Thank you to the women who put together that wonderful production this weekend! You speak for the women who can’t speak for themselves, and you raise awareness for abused and mistreated women. I pray that Boston College continues to support this production and this cause.

Photo Sources:

Vagina Monologues/Facebook

Briana is a junior at Boston College studying abroad in Parma, Italy. She studies English and Italian. She loves books, clothes, and country music. Add her on twitter @brigalita !!
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum