Why St. Patrick’s Day is the Best Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is, in-Dublin-ably, the best holiday ever.  Before I came to BC, I was unsure how the Irish-heavy student body was accustomed to celebrating the religious feast day that is St. Paddy’s.  Back in the Midwest, where I hail from, we celebrated March 17th by wearing green if we remembered to and watching The Luck of the Irish on Disney Channel.  St. Patrick’s Day in Boston, I learned very quickly upon my arrival at BC, is very different than in Minnesota, where Swedes outnumber any other European descendant about 1,000 to 1.  At Boston College, St. Paddy’s is second only to Marathon Monday (another unofficially sanctioned BC holiday), and here is why:

1.  Green Beer

2.  Green Nail Polish

3.  Green Hair

4.  Shamrock Shakes at McDonald’s

5.  Going to pubs in Boston right away in the morning

6.  That half creepy, half delicious shamrock sugar cookie dough that Pillsbury makes

7.  The Mods

8.  Darties in the Mods

9.  Guinness in the Mods

10.  Lucky Charms for breakfast in Mac

11.  Shamelessly listening to U2 without pretending they “randomly came on shuffle” on your iPod

12.  The only day all year I, as a redhead, am revered for my copper locks

13.  St. Patrick’s Day Parade in South Boston (the biggest in the United States)

14.  Corned Beef and Cabbage

15.  The Huffington Post naming BC the most Irish College in the U.S. (Notre Dame is #8 HA)

16.  This year, March 17 falls on a Sunday. Literally could not be more convenient.

These are just a few of the probably millions (billions? trillions?) of reasons why St. Patrick’s Day is the best day of the year.  You don’t have any weird or uncomfortable family gatherings to attend, the stress of gift giving, or any reason to regret responsibly enjoying a darkly brewed beer any time during the day.  Oh, and of course, The Luck of the Irish is on Disney Channel at 11:00 AM EST that morning.  Feel free to come watch with me.

Source:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/st-patricks-day-2012-irish-colleges_n_1349791.html#s780434&title=Boston_College

Photo Source:

http://static.someecards.com/s…

Maddie is a senior at Boston College, where she spends her days fawning over literature and Art History textbooks. She was previously an editorial intern at Her Campus, and is now a HC contributing writer and blogger. Follow her on twitter @madschmitz for a collection of vaguely amusing tweets. 
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.