This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Patriot’s Day, otherwise known as Marathon Monday to us Bostonians, comes around every year and creates an atmosphere like no other. Everyone is pumped up and excited for the day; people who don’t normally rise before noon wake up early in the morning so they can experience the whole day. The Boston Marathon essentially takes over the entire city, and here is why it’s such a wonderful day!

No School

Students rejoice, no school on Marathon Monday! That means we get to sleep in if we want to, we don’t have to rush to classes, and our responsibilities can wait another day. It is a nice respite from academic life, and this one day off gives us a chance to relax.

Hanging with Friends

Since there’s no school, time with friends is at a high! The excitement and general craziness of the day brings friends together to watch the marathon and participate in the college experience. Nothing says friendship like hanging out all day ignoring all responsibility.

Front Row Seats to a World Class Marathon

Bostonians are immensely lucky because we get to watch the race up close and in person. BC’s position on the marathon route means that students can cheer on the runners and high five them as they pass by. It’s a pretty neat experience, one you’ll be telling your kids about.

It Brings the City Together

The Boston Marathon brings together the whole community to cheer on these incredible athletes as they run 26.2 miles. What’s great is that you probably know someone who is running the marathon or a friend of a friend who is participating. This connection links the community together in a time where division is everywhere.

It Brings the World Together

The participants of the marathon are from all over the globe, and it’s wonderful to watch an event that links the world together through friendly competition. Like so many sporting events, the Boston Marathon allows people to set aside their differences and simply watch the incredible performance of our fellow humans as they run for hours hoping to achieve victory.

Whether you only like the marathon because it’s a day off from school or because you love the marathon itself, Marathon Monday is one of the best days of the year.

Sources: 

https://www.metro.us/things-to-do/boston/when-is-the-2018-boston-marathon

bigstock-School-Closed-44492209-626×380.jpg

54877930-group-of-friends-hanging-out-at-home.jpg

BOSTON-Race-Shot.jpg

boston_strong_by_wolverine080976-d63dr5p.png

https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-images-world-peace-illustration-image5981284

Alexandra is a Senior History major with an English minor at Boston College who can always be found procrastinating by reading books or watching Netflix. She is known for making puns so bad that not even her friends laugh at them (but she always does). Her favorite ice cream flavor is Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey. Favorite movies include When Harry Met Sally, Dead Poets Society, and The Princess Bride.
Vanessa is a senior at Boston College studying Economics and Communications. She is proud to be the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Boston College!