Why I Love Being in a Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Can a long-distance relationship ever be a good thing? Of course!!

My boyfriend Conor and I have been together for over three years. We started dating when we were attending the same high school and lived five minutes apart from each other. The close proximity made it easy for us to spend a lot of time together.

Our relationship became long distance when we both went to college. Conor goes to Princeton and I am at BC. We are essentially five hours apart from each other. I get to see him probably once every month, if we are lucky. People ask us how we maintain strength with distance. In short, it takes a lot of trust and communication to have a successful relationship (this goes for all relationships, not just long distance!).

Here are some reasons why I enjoy my long distance relationship:

1. Going home and seeing your significant other becomes extra special

Breaks are the time when you can spend lengthy amounts of time together, so make it count! Try to plan trips to see each other if you can. I go down to see Conor once a semester and it has become something to look forward to.

2. Being able to be independent and live your own lives

College is a time to focus on yourself above anything else. Without the possibility to spend time with your significant other, you are forced to do activities without them and make your own friends to surround yourself with. Embrace this time you have to yourself to discover things you truly like. And don’t forget, you always have your boyfriend/girlfriend to fall back on in times of trouble.

3. Not having to impress people in a romantic way

This one is probably my favorite. I don’t feel the need to look great every day in hopes of catching a guy’s attention. I am able to become friends with guys without the implication that I am looking for a romantic relationship. Also, having an excuse to not shave my legs every day? Score!

4. Having friends from your significant other’s university

I have met some fantastic people through Conor. Befriend people who your boyfriend/girlfriend is friends with at their university. This makes your own circle of friends wider and you can meet fascinating individuals you wouldn’t have met otherwise. Who ever complained about having too many friends?

Don’t be afraid of long distance. If you are committed to each other you will surely find ways to make it work.

Sources:

http://data1.whicdn.com/images…

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg….

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcd…

I'm a girl from BC who likes to do things. That's all.
Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum