Why I Love The Bachelor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Everyone hates Mondays, it’s just the way it works.  And though I dread Mondays as the start of the school week and the return to stress, the best part of my Monday is curling up on my couch with a blanket and some hot chocolate and watching The Bachelor.

Whenever I tell people that I love The Bachelor, I’m immediately judged. “How could you like a show with such a ridiculous concept?” “It’s not a show about love, it’s a show to embarrass people.”

This is a common response from friends and family.

The thing about The Bachelor is that, yes, it may be totally scripted, or degrading towards the men and women who are on it, but I’m watching it to be entertained.  I have almost zero confidence that any of the relationships formed on the show are going to last – though am admittedly upset when they don’t (RIP Josh and Andi

It’s fun to sit around with my roommates, and rather than gossip about people we actually know, we can sit and talk about how crazy one contestant is, or what we would do if we were ever in some of the situations on the show.  We can discuss the totally obscure dates that the contestants are on, the luxurious and unbelievably beautiful locations they get to visit, and even fantasize about what we want our own love lives to look like.

Though reality television may be turning our brains to mush, The Bachelor is one show I will have a lot of difficulty giving up, especially if they continue to have their men be as hot as Chris.

Why yes Chris, I will accept this rose.

I'm a sophomore majoring in Communications with a minor in History. My post-grad goal is to work at NBC, but don't ask me what I want to do or how I plan on getting there. If you're ever looking for me on campus I'm most likely in the chocolate bar, drinking an iced caramel latte and pretending to be doing my work.
I am a Political Science major and Women's and Gender Studies minor at Boston College. I am an RA on campus and am involved in the Student Admissions Program. Since I am from Florida, I can legitimately say that I love long walks on the beach. I also love getting lost in a world fabricated by a novel, there is honestly nothing better.