This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

With the kids running crazy,

And everyone telling you, “Be creative!”

It’s the most artistic time of the year!

Ok, probably not the tune that you were thinking of mid-spring.  The song, however, was one of the few that could capture my emotions about BC Arts Fest.  For those unfamiliar with this lovely weekend, it is when Boston College finally devotes some much-needed attention to all of the arts.  Performances and exhibits occur through out the weekend, and it is just plain awesome.

Here is why I love Arts Fest:

1. All of the arts are all together.

This is the only time of the year when all of the different types of art are put all together.  You are able to experience artist expression in every form.  If you missed a comedy or dance show, you can come and watch them share their fantastic abilities.

2. It is all weekend.

Starting on Thursday and ending on Sunday, Arts Festival is a full weekend event meaning that you can look at all of the different activities and events when you have the time.  (Alternatively, you can just stay there permanently and sleep in the quad.)

3. It is free.

All of the art that people have worked on so hard throughout the year are free and open to the public.  You are able to see your favorite theatre, dance, and music groups perform, and you can view the exhibits of different art forms, such as sculpture, paintings, and jewelry.  Come, marvel, and enjoy it all without having to spend a dime.

4.  However, if you do want to spend money,…

If you do not mind spending money, you can go see a number of venues, including Dancing with bOp! and the spring musical, Avenue Q.  You can also buy a piece of art on display, which is cool because most of them are created by BC students!

5. BC comes together.

Yes, I know, I know. BC is one big happy family all the time.  We bond over our sports, our former Dustbowl, blah, blah, blah.  While we may come together in these ways metaphorically, BC Arts Festival brings us physically together.  The campus comes alive with students, families, and teachers.  Everyone bonds together in a celebration that transcends the boundaries of gender identity, race, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, etc. and looks into the creativity of the human spirit.

Boston College Arts Festival is from Thursday, April 25 to Sunday, April 28 all day.  Keep your weekend free ladies and gents ‘cause you are not going to want to miss this event!

Photo Sources:

https://www.facebook.com/bcartsfest

http://www.bc.edu/offices/artscouncil/festival.html

Danica is a senior at Boston College and is a History major with an Irish Studies minor.  She is originally from Greenwich, CT and moved to East Boothbay, ME.  She is also a member of Boston College Irish Dance and the Shaw Leadership Program.  And last but not least is a fiery redhead who lives in a dragon-guarded castle surrounded by a boiling lake of lava! But don't let that cool you off. She's a loaded pistol who likes piña coladas and getting caught in the rain. Yours for the rescuing: Princess Danica!  (And yes, that is a quote from Shrek...)
Caitlin is currently a student at Boston College studying English and Pre-Law.  At BC, she is a member of the Boston College Irish Dance Club, on the Honors Program Student Executive Board's Community Service Committee, and interns and writes for the fashion and culture blog Rusted Revolution.  She has been wriring for Her Campus BC since Jaunary 2011 and is serving as BC's Campus Correspondent for the 2012-2013 school year.  Outside of school, she is a competitive Irish dancer, and has been dancing for 18 years. During her high school career, she completed an engineering project at Case Western Reserve University that made her one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search Finalists in 2009.   In addition to all of this, Caitlin loves reading, yoga, running, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and traveling.