Why BC People Wear BC Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Ok, just admit it, you’ve done it. Well, don’t feel bad, because we’ve all done it.

Boston College apparel is not just for athletes anymore. It is a campus-wide phenomenon from freshmen to seniors. Both boys and girls wear it. One cannot go a few feet without seeing someone sporting an eagle, “BC,” “Boston College,” or the ubiquitous colors, maroon and gold.

Boston College is known for dressing well. We are known for wearing blazers, sweaters, and skinny jeans. (I mean there is a reason behind the J Crew with a hangover thing…) However, the wearing of Boston College apparel seems to be a foil to this stereotype of the Boston College student. While many people dress up, BC clothes with jeans and jewelry is not the same thing as an oxford.

So then, why do we love BC clothing?

Many reasons could probably be given as to why…

1. We love sports.
While some schools may just show support for their teams during games, Boston College students like to show their team spirit all of the time. We are Class A in all of our sports, and we are proud of all our athletes. We have our athletic teams, our club teams, and other clubs to show off our mad skills. Our athletic wear (yes, even rugby shirts are worn by athletes, hence “rugby” shirt…) reflects that.

2. We love our school.
BC is totally awesome. While we may, at times, complain about it, we really do love it deep down inside. The classes are great, and the teachers are committed. You meet awesome people here that you want to be friends with for the rest of your life. So, why not express it in your clothing? Often times, we express how we feel through our clothes. Fun, sluggish, tired, flirty, and creative… our clothes are extensions of who we are as people, and emotions have a powerful impact on who we are at that moment. So, is our love of BC any different? It is an emotion, and when you have so many people in one concentrated area feeling it, it is hard not trying to express it.

3. They are cute clothes.
Have you seen the clothing? It’s really adorable. With Hello Kitty t-shirts and BC pennies, they are cool. And it’s not just for girls… boys get awesome stuff as well. The store has “Keep Boston Maroon” shirts and slick BC oxfords making sure that we are not just showing our love of sports and school, but we are looking fashionable in the process.

4. It is the closest clothing store around.
This may seem like a cop-out excuse, but it is the total truth. As nice as BC is, it is not the most conveniently located clothing store-wise. If it were not for the BC store, we would not have anywhere to shop in a pinch. It is also a nice place to go shopping for gifts for the entire family so they can show support for their alma mater or a loved one’s college choice.

While all of these reasons may be evident to you, the BC reader, these reasons may not be so evident to others. However, when everyone asks you why do you have 12252232 bazillion BC shirts… you don’t have to say that it was because it was free or because you just do. Now, you have a reason that sounds slightly more logical, if not more expressive.

As for all of the non-BC readers and “the anti-BC apparel” BC readers, now you know why we love it so much. We are not all drones, and we are not all weird. (Ok, some of the people are, but that is expected at every institution.) We just like to express ourselves (We are BC!) through one of the best mediums possible, our clothes.

Now, put on a BC shirt, and show your pride for your school, your friends, and your BC family.

Photo Sources:
http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay/10001-443256-46404-68038369-1?demoKey=d
http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay/10001-10040-46404-69063471-1?demoKey=d
http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay/10001-152754-46404-68438496-1?demoKey=d
http://www.bkstr.com/ProductDisplay/10001-10032-46404-69539399-1?demoKey=d

Danica is a senior at Boston College and is a History major with an Irish Studies minor.  She is originally from Greenwich, CT and moved to East Boothbay, ME.  She is also a member of Boston College Irish Dance and the Shaw Leadership Program.  And last but not least is a fiery redhead who lives in a dragon-guarded castle surrounded by a boiling lake of lava! But don't let that cool you off. She's a loaded pistol who likes piña coladas and getting caught in the rain. Yours for the rescuing: Princess Danica!  (And yes, that is a quote from Shrek...)
Meghan Keefe is a senior associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus Media. While she was a student at Boston College, she was on the HC BC team and led as a Campus Correspondent for two semesters. After graduating and working for three years in public relations, she decided it was time to rejoin the Her Campus team. In her spare time, she enjoys exploring Boston and traveling - anything that gets her outside.