Who Are We Dressing For?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Every morning I go through the same routine. Wake up, brush my teeth, wash my face, put in my contacts, do my makeup and my hair and pick an outfit that is both stylish and weather appropriate. This routine has become so repetitive that I could do it in my sleep, and half the time when I do it I am partially asleep.

On days when I decide to not put my contacts in, throw my hair up on top of my head, stick on my comfy sweatshirt or put on minimum make-up (basically just concealer to cover up my dark circles) I always find myself justifying it. “I have an exam today,” or “I have to babysit right after class,” or “I was up late last night,” or “I’m only staying in my room today so nobody will see me.” Why do I feel the need to justify dressing comfortably? Why do I sometimes go through a day with shoes that receive many compliments but leave my feet beat up with blisters? It was not until recently that I took the time to stop and think about who I am actually dressing for. Am I dressing for myself or for everyone else around me?

Every day we put on an outfit that has a combination of function, purpose, self-expression and mood. But within that process, today’s society subconsciously feels the need to dress for someone else. Women in today’s society, when they stop to think about it, realize that they are dressing for other men and women. If dressing for other women, it is often not only to impress but also to compete. If dressing for other men, it is often to intrigue. Why must there be a competition for who is the hottest or most attractive according to the judgment of the beholder?

I decided to take a fashion statement stand, and I invite all of you to join me (both female and male). This statement is to dress how I want. Sometimes I do like to dress up, but if I want to throw on a sweatshirt, leggings and sneakers for class I am going to.

If I don’t want to wear heels out, I will not force myself to suffer the stilt-like agility needed for wearing 4-inch accidents waiting to happen.

If I want to call a fishtail braid that took me 30 seconds to do my hairstyle for the day, I am fully going to embrace it.

Whether you love wearing moccasins, hate putting contacts in or would prefer to wear leggings instead of jeans on any given day, I invite you to rock it. Sure we all love when others like the way we dress and look, but always remember that you should put yourself first. Remember that saying you recall your mother saying since you were a little girl; it doesn’t matter what is on the outside, it matters what is on the inside. And on the inside you are all beautiful.

Photo Sources:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/207798970280372920/

http://brightlike.info/120/iuuq;00nfejb.dbdif.fd1/qjojnh/dpn0347y0370120e203712e2241e3e:366bd5b72gbfggg116e/kqh

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/your-period-affects-your-outfit-choice

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum