When Did Hilary Duff Become So Yesterday?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

It’s the question that has been asked since the beginning of TV-streaming time: “When will Lizzie McGuire be on Netflix?” Unfortunately, the verdict is still out on that one. However, the true Hilary Duff fan strives not only to be cultured in her appearance on network television but continues to follow her up the cinematic ladder and, most recently, spiraling down into the pop world. Hilary Duff will always be a legend, but we must accept the circumstances and ask ourselves, when did her career become So Yesterday?

As one of Disney Channel’s only remaining TV sweethearts, Hilary Duff first graced the movie screen in her role as Wendy in Casper Meets Wendy. Her bright eyes and innocent charm solidified Duff’s image as the girl-next-door, gaining the attention of Disney Channel sitcom producers looking for their next female role model.  Lizzie McGuire was the pinnacle of preteen primetime television- youngster singing along to the feel-good theme song, wishing a giant red dodgeball would just fall from the ceiling. Lizzie McGuire was a common, clumsy, awkward girl that everyone could identify with. Ahh and cartoon Lizzie! Why can’t I have a completely fictional representation of my witty subconscious? Perhaps the most important part of the Lizzie McGuire franchise: it produced a Disney Channel original movie. I can probably speak for most Hilary Duff fans when I say that the Lizzie McGuire Movie is not to be viewed only once. A guilty pleasure at its finest; it’s watched during every sleepover, reunion, new adventure and, well, actually it’s watched whenever because …“it shines like the light from the sun”. The only dilemma is deciding who will be Paolo and Isabella in the classic showdown before the iconic performance of What Dreams Are Made Of.

If I got the chance to make a wish in the Trevi Fountain, I would probably go for Lizzie’s rocking purple dress that turns into a pantsuit when everything goes technicolor or, you know, world peace. Although Hilary Duff will always be immortalized as Lizzie McGuire, her career was only just beginning.

In 2002, Duff proved that she’s a One Girl Revolution as she took on the role of a free-spirited maggot in Cadet Kelly. While Duff found great success on the Disney Channel, she was determined to become a box office sensation. She appeared in films like Agent Cody Banks and the Cheaper By the Dozen franchise. Hilary also starred opposite Chad Michael Murray in A Cinderella Story. At the time, Duff was only 16 years old when she danced around in a fairytale inspired gown to the acoustic version of I’ll Be with the Austin Ames. While Sam Montgomery did get her Prince Charming in the most dramatic, cliche way possible, her role confirmed that it’s okay to be your own savior and that a girl can choose a Big Mac over a rice cake any day.

Although Duff continued to appear in films such as Raise Your Voice and The Perfect Man, her career was in quick decline. By 2006, shortly after the release of Material Girls, Duff’s acting career went completely under the radar. She gained some publicity in 2010 when she married NHL player Mike Comrie and later, in 2012, when she gave birth to son, Luca Cruz Comrie. Still, Duff tried to make small steps in reestablishing her image, taking on small roles in various TV series. Yet, these days, Hilary Duff is breaking back into the scene by putting her acting career on the back burner. While Duff had previously released numerous Billboard worthy albums, she never fully immersed herself in the music industry until now. She is currently working with songwriter Ed Sheeran to produce a pop-inspired album while also dropping some new releases. In her single, Sparks, Duff is all glammed up with blue hair and a fierce attitude, even exposing her recent experience with Tinder in the music video. So far, her attempt at rebranding has yet to pay off.

For many loyal fans, Duff appears to have fallen off the grid. Nevertheless, she continues to be America’s sweetheart we all know and love in private. Even if her career is So Yesterday, her personal life is, without a doubt, her biggest achievement yet. She is a dignified performer, a philanthropist, and a loving mother. So don’t worry about Hilary Duff, haven’t you heard? She’s definitely gonna be ok.

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilary_Duff

http://media.giphy.com/media/O438gKiJMnrLa/giphy.gif

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/c9/33/9ec93339c9eb7ba5920a10e083750fc2.jpg

http://38.media.tumblr.com/23f6b14573e8de9ecd7c22f057a179ac/tumblr_noclnzZHTj1qb7iu4o6_540.gif

https://thesaltyju.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/boa.jpg

I am a freshman at Boston College pursuing a double-major in Political Science and Communications. Although some might say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, I thrive off of it. As a new writer to the Her Campus BC team, I am excited to provide social and political criticisms that will, hopefully, give attention to the words left unsaid.
Blake is a senior at Boston College and is pursuing Biology and Pre-Med, as well as the perfect slice of pizza. She is so excited to be a co-Campus Correspondent along with Emily this year! As well as being a writer for Her Campus BC, she is also a member of the Girls Club Lacrosse team, the Public Health Club, and is a physics tutor on campus.