What’s Your Major? There’s a Book for That…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

Everybody loves a good book. When books are both interesting to read and helpful in your life, they are loved even more. There are so many books for us Collegiettes to read, especially ones in our fields of study. To get you started with some light, mid-semester reading, I put together some ideas for books to read depending on what your major is. All of the books are always recommended for everyone though, regardless of your major!

Education Majors: Letters To A Young Teacher

Kozol’s book, which is in letter format, is an absolutely wonderful read for anybody who would like to work with children. It explains all different types of stories from the public classroom and advocates for better public schools. Reading it reminds you of why you wanted to become a teacher in the first place (or maybe if you’re not an education major, it could make you change your mind).

CSOM Majors: One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market

When it comes to finance or management, I’ll be the first to tell you that I have no idea what’s going on. Instead, I asked a fellow CSOM Collegiette what book every CSOM major should read. She said that all CSOM-ers need to just read a good fiction novel, like The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. While I completely agree with that, I also found this book by Peter Lynch that seems to fit even better. As a Boston College graduate, he definitely knows his stuff. The book is all about investments and how to find the right opportunities. This book even sounded interesting to me!

Nursing Majors: The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures

Although I read this for an English class, I feel like it would be suited better for Nursing majors or anybody who is or will be pre-med. Fadiman’s book is about an epileptic Hmong child and her struggles through the health system. It’s a great story for anybody, but it can really show the different problems a nurse or doctor faces other than the diseases themselves. Cultural and language barriers can be extremely difficult, as shown in this novel, and the author helps you to see from a different perspective!

For All Collegiettes: Careeranista: The Woman’s Guide to Success After College

Careeranista is a wonderful book for every Collegiette to read by the time they graduate. It’s all about learning how to thrive in today’s career world as a woman, in ways other than just being book smart. If you’re not sure what you’re going to do after college, or don’t know if you’ll thrive in your environment (and that’s probably all of us!), then you’ll definitely feel better after reading this. Pitts-Kyser has a great way of writing in which I didn’t even realize I was learning about something until after I read it. It was more like I was having a one-way conversation with a good friend.

No matter what major you’ve declared, or if you just haven’t yet, all these books are great adds to your reading list. They give insight on different aspects of our future, and teach us about it. Happy reading!

Article Sources:

Careeranista: The Woman’s Guide to Success After College by Chaz Pitts-Kyser

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures By Anne Fadiman

Letters To A Young Teacher By Jonathan Kozol

One Up On Wall Street: How To Use What You Already Know To Make Money In The Market By Peter Lynch

http://us.macmillan.com/thespiritcatchesyouandyoufalldown/AnneFadiman

http://money-markets-blog.amazon.com/post/Tx2UU1LQFAC48IG/10-Indispensable-Books-for-Investing-Better

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/letters-to-a-young-teacher-jonathan-kozol/1100265936?ean=9780307393722

Boston College student, but Wisconsinite at heart. Music aficionado, and lover of all things cats. BC '16, LSOE. Secondary Ed. and English major, Psychology minor. Along with being a writer and editor for HC BC, Samantha is a Drumline Section Leader in the Screaming Eagles Marching Band, involved in the BC Pep Band and the BC Symphonic Band, and is a member of the English Association.
Kelsey Damassa is in her senior year at Boston College, majoring in Communications and English. She is a native of Connecticut and frequents New York City like it is her job. On campus, she is the Campus Correspondent for the Boston College branch of Her Campus. She also teaches group fitness classes at the campus gym (both Spinning and Pump It Up!) and is an avid runner. She has run five half-marathons as well as the Boston Marathon. In her free time, Kelsey loves to bake (cupcakes anyone?), watch Disney movies, exercise, read any kind of novel with a Starbucks latte in hand, and watch endless episodes of "Friends" or "30 Rock."